Thread: Hand Saw sharpening

Hand Saw sharpening

I was just rereading the hand saw post and I don't know where ya'll get your saws sharpened but if the sharpener is taking off 1/4" of metal then he screwed up and had to start over.As a Sharpologist, it is to my advantage to take off as little ammount of metal as possible.Time is money. I was a hand saw user long before I started a sharpening shop.And hand saw sharpening ain't Rocket Sicence.The difference in tooth height of a few thousandths won't make much difference in the quality of the cut.The biggest problem I have with hand saws is that after several hand sharpenings the teeth are not even so it takes several passes with the filer or it has to be retoothed.Hand saws are the original cordless recipt saw.Max

The issue isn't with filers, it's with commercial shops who shear in new teeth every time you send in your saw.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I took my first try with a 5.5 pt rip blade last night. Seems to have come out pretty good, but I made too much work for myself by jointing too heavily as I couldn't get the mill file to take anything off of the very first tooth at the heel. I finally decided this tooth would probably never get used and left it. Unfortunately, by this time I had already taken about 1/2 of the height off of some of the other teeth, which made for a lot of work with the taper file.

Some folks put some belly, rocker or "breast" into the cutting edge...not as severe as a logger's crosscut saw, but enuf to accommodate the odd short tooth at either end.

It was said to speed sawing.

When you've lost a tooth or have to joint all the way to the depth of a gullet, then sending the saw out to have new teeth sheared in is a good idea, because you'll use up two good files filing in new teeth, not to mention the tedium.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Some folks put some belly, rocker or "breast" into the cutting edge...not as severe as a logger's crosscut saw, but enuf to accommodate the odd short tooth at either end.

It was said to speed sawing.

When you've lost a tooth or have to joint all the way to the depth of a gullet, then sending the saw out to have new teeth sheared in is a good idea, because you'll use up two good files filing in new teeth, not to mention the tedium.
    Yeah, I hate using up my file, but I figure at $4.00 apiece, it was a fairly inexpensive lesson.