Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: occasional table

Mike

here is a link to the plans. They cost 6 bucks.

http://www.woodstore.net/octa.html

I'm building this same table. The plans called for mortise/tenon joinery for the cross pieces to the legs. I figured I'd use biscuits or dowels instead. However, I'm wondering if even THAT's necessary? Will they add considerable strength vis-a-vis a properly made glued butt joint?

Shawn

I used dowels withthe dowelmax. I do not think butt joints will be strong enough. The table is 28" tall so there will be pressure on the bottom joints as the table sways a little.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I'm building this same table. The plans called for mortise/tenon joinery for the cross pieces to the legs. I figured I'd use biscuits or dowels instead. However, I'm wondering if even THAT's necessary? Will they add considerable strength vis-a-vis a properly made glued butt joint?
    In short, no the joint will not be strong as a butt joint. End grain to face grain joints are not strong and usually don't last. Mortices are really not that hard to do with either a morticer, router or just a drill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute