Thread: I think this might be a gloat

I think this might be a gloat

Warning: This might run loooong.

I saw an ad on Craigs List for woodworking tools. Since it was local I checked it out. An older gent had been running a part time woodworking business since he was laid off a few years ago, and now with health problems, was liquidating everything. He had worked for Rockler and had collected a lot of their tools.

I bought a Rockler basic router table with a Jessem master fence, a Rockler router lift, and a PC 7518(?) VS router. It also had an extra Rockler fence. I paid $300 for it. Good condition, after cleaning it up a bit.

Since I got the router table, I asked about router bits to go with it. He had a whole table top covered with bits. We talked about a few individual bits, then I asked him how much for all of them. I THINK I paid $300, but it might have been $200.

I got: New: Amana rail and stile set, Amana EZ dial slotting set, Freud glass door rail and stile set, CMT tenon cutting set, and a no name rail and stile set.
    New: 17 assorted Rockler bits in the packages, and two raised panel bits. Two more rail and stile sets and one new drawer lock bit.

In addition a bunch of mostly Rockler and Amana bits some slightly used, some new.

In total: 49 1/4" bits, 95 1/2" bits, plus the above mentioned full sets in boxes, plus 14 various countersink drills most new.

Then I bought a Tormek, obviously seldom used, including every jig they ever made in original unopened boxes....Paid $300.

Then he sold me a Fein Multimaster, the newer one with the extra power and the quick change head. It came with a couple boxes of sandpaper and a bunch of the optional saw attachments. I paid $150 for this , and he threw in his old Fein Multimaster which looked almost new.

You still with me?

He had a bunch of Kreg screws, which I gave him $100 for....four boxes of 1000, plus 19 packs of 60 to 100, depending on size. This lot also included 14 packs of Simpson self start screws, 8 packs of Miller dowels and three Miller drills, and a bunch (26 and growing) jig knobs of varied type.

We moved on to his sandpaper cabinet, and for $100 I bought it all. Partial list would be 248 H&L 5" random orbit discs, 65 Abradenet sanding screen discs, 5 boxes of sandpaper, and two Microplane stainless steel sanding discs

Those Rockler plastic right angle Clamp-its? 16 of them at $1 each INCLUDING 22 of the small clamps made for them. Universal fence clamp from Rockler, in the box, thrown in too.

Rockler aluminum 4' clamps. I bought 11 of them for either $1 or $5 each, can't remember which, but 5 or 6 of them included their 4' extension kit.

There's more small stuff, but I haven't inventoried it all yet, a bunch of brass hinges, 4 Rockler router plates, a dozen or so varied fence parts of anodized aluminum, nails, screws, a bunch of clear 4" DC hose with fittings, etc. This all came with above package deals.

Now I have to decide what to keep, what to give to my buddies, etc.

I warned you this might run way long.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-22-2008 at 2:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Yeah it's a gloat

Rick,

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you and tell you the obligatory you suck!

Dave

Forget about giving some to your buddies. You have enough hardware and supplies to last a long time without visiting a hardware store.
    You lucky bum.

Ya...that COULD be a gloat. But it's significantly lacking in, um...visual...evidence...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim

Jim,

You could come over and look, it's just a short drive to California, and you need a vacation. I havn't figured out yet how to do pics. Just got a new camera a couple days ago. Ours was missing for a long time, and it never came home.

Rick Potter

Significantly lacking in Evidence!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    I heard somewhere here, on the creek, that if there's no photos, it didn't happen.... Is that true? (oh yeah, nice score!)