Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hang DC pipe on ceiling?

How to hang DC pipe on ceiling?

Was wondering what you all use as the best way to attach DC pipe to the ceiling and walls in your installations. I am planning on using the SD40 type PVC. I was considering pipe strapping (that galvenized metal "ribbon" with holes in it) screwed into the ceiling and wall joists, but was wondering if there was a better way. I am also looking for something that is fairly mobile as I tend to rearrange the shop and would like to be able to move piping fairly easily also (cheaper the better als0 ).

Thanks!
    Jason Morgan

I used the Cheese Strap you are referring to and it worked fine for me.

On a side note, You will not need to use SD40. It is much thicker than needed and much more expensive.

SD35 or Thin Wall is what you will want. Check with local plumbing supply.

Ooops!

Yes, I meant the thin walled stuff...never can remember which is what.
    Jason Morgan

Jason,

Here's how I hung mine. I have wallboard on the ceiling and plywood on the walls. I wished I'd have use plywood on the ceiling. When screwing the pipe to the ceiling, the screws and strap would dimple the wallboard, so here's my fix.....

Image005 (2).JPG
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used pipe strap and round head screws. It was easy enough. I used #8 screws through the small holes on the pipe strap to hold it together and make a loop.

I think if you wanted to do a really neat job, Aircraft cable would work?

Blog Entries
    You didn't mention if your ceiling is open. My dad's is and he used chain. Very easy to change around until you decide which sections (if any) will be more permanent.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used the plastic pipe strapping they sell at Lowes, I think it was less then $5 and I got 100 feet. That and some screws and I don't think you'll have any issues. One of the reasons I used this (other then it's very cheap) was because it also eliminates vibration.

Good Luck,
    Ian

Thanks for all the replies

Lots of good ideas.

Ken, your brackets look great and if I were putting in a more "permanent" system, I would consider those.

Ceiling is drywalled.

I think the plastic pipe strap from Lowe's will be just the ticket.

THANKS!
    Jason Morgan

I used suspended ceiling I-screws and wire to hang my pipe from the ceiling joists. For the vertical drops, I used metal worm-drive clamps. Very cheap and no vibration.

I hang duct using the 24" heavy duty plastic ties typically used by electricians for very large bundles of wire, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used the plastic pipe strap and found that it stretches. Not a problem unless it compresses a slide gate in the vertical run. For just supporting the pipe across a ceiling, it should not be a problem.

I just finished hanging my 6" PVC pipe for my dust collector and ended up using metal pipe strapping. Make sure you secure it to the studs rather than molly bolts through the sheet rock. The most economical 6" PVC is Sewer and Drain type 2729. I purchased mine for $1.73/ft from a local landscaping supply company. The local plumbing supply places didn't stock it.

A great place for information on installing your DC pipe can be found in the clearvue forums.

I used the black rubber bungee cords with eye screws. The rubber dampens the vibration very well. On the down tubes on the wall (only one of them) I just screwed my blast gate to the wall with metal shelf brackets. Where it goes through the multifunction cabinet, there is a foam surround that keeps it from hitting the cabinet. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I used long cable ties and those white electrical staples with two nails....very easy to move around if necessary.

Hi Jason,

I use cable ties, but I came across these a while back;
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5814