Thread: Feedback on Design

Feedback on Design

I built a couple of end tables to go beside some arm chairs at the LOML's request, and couldn't help but use the opportunity to try out some new techniques. So I looked at a lot of pictures, made up my own design, did the construction, dry assembled it, wasn't completely happy with it, and got some great advice from my twin (the real woodworking talent in the family) on some additional design elements, and finished them out.

I'm pleased with the result, but I would truly appreciate feedback on the finished products. I'm new to the furniture design element and see that as my biggest growth area in woodworking.

The pieces are constructed of curly maple (fyi - purchased off this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88061 ), mahogany, and ebony. It has a tung oil finish with just a small amount of dye, and debating whether to do a coat of shellac and then add waterborne clear finish. These tables will have food and drink placed on them.

While praise is always nice, constructive criticism, suggestions for next time, other ideas or options to consider are my primary request.

Thanks!

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Fine craftsmanship and beautiful wood. Since you asked, if they were mine, I'd feel like they had too much going on. From memory, there are at least five "points of interest": The leg tips a different color, that transition has a curve, the cutout with the button on the front, the top raised from the base and the beautiful maple.

It seems to me that's at least two too many. I like the idea of one or two interesting things about a piece of furniture, then maybe some others which are mostly hidden or not noticeable on first inspection.

My two cents, or less if you think that's too much. I know that style is a personal thing, so what's right for you may be very different from what I'd like.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

The top could have more mass. Either that or the base needs less. The immediate impression is that the base can support much more weight than it is being call on to do here. Also, the top could overhang the frame a bit more. Nice execution.
    David DeCristoforo

John, David - definitely appreciate the feedback and can definitely see your points.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown