Thread: Kitchen remodel help

Kitchen remodel help

I'm going to be redoing my kitchen and would like maple cabinets. I would also like a wood table. What would would you use for the table? Oak and pine are easily bought, but I don't think oak would go with the maple. What do think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Durgin View Post

I'm going to be redoing my kitchen and would like maple cabinets. I would also like a wood table. What would would you use for the table? Oak and pine are easily bought, but I don't think oak would go with the maple. What do think?
    If your married or have a significant other ask her or them .

I think all woods have thier own charm and mixing woods in one room is generally not a problem for me.

I'd recommend the Maple kitchen over Red Oak any day , Red Oak is over used today from a design stand point , boring IMO. Maples not as common.

Now IF you wanted to spring for some 1/4 sawn or rift cut R.Oak or White Oak that would be different.

When mixing wood species, I prefer to mix different colors of wood. Trying to mix 2 similar colors of wood to me looks weird (ie: Maple and White Oak) The grain textures are an odd match also.
    What about a dark wood like Walnut? I think it and Maple look stunning together. Now don't get me wrong, I love Oak. All my furniture is Oak. But I wouldn't trim any of it with Maple. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Speaking from a cabinet designer's view...

We sell maple 10:1 over oak. Oak is regarded as a "tired" wood from most homeowners. Now, before you all come after me, QS white oak and a good "mission/Green and Green" design is another issue. I'm all for the "craftsman" look.
    Maple, alder cabs are great for stained finished. Poplar for paint.
    IMHO.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Oak is regarded as a "tired" wood from most homeowners.
    True. But it will probably cycle back into fashion in 20 years. In the meantime, folks with more money than sense will rip them out to be trendy.

I agree with the others...I would stay with maple for consistency.

I'm still waiting for harvest gold and avacado green to make a comeback.

-Jeff

My opinion only

Tried to get my other half to go with hard maple or hickory. She wouldn't go for it. Winding up with same old same old R. oak. For my taste I like maple with mahogany or walnut trim to set it off. Seems to brighten everything up with contrast and leaves more possibilities for paint colors.

7. White is not white, and brown is not brown. There are suttle shades in colors, which are actually other colors blending into them. Different shades of one color, may not go with shades of another. The best thing to do is place the boards side by side, and you will instantly know that looks good together, and what does not. You could make generalities, like walnut goes well with maple, but even that should be given the side by side consideration. Of course you get into how do you truly check the comparison when dealing with saw mill wood. Sometimes you can tell anyhow, wetting them slightly is a help, or if possible, planing them and then wetting helps the most.
    Personally I think you can take rough cut wood in the stack, and instantly see what will work great together and what will not. I am only talking about color now, and not texture, curly, etc.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."