Thread: Wedding Keepsake Box Size?

Wedding Keepsake Box Size?

I am going to build a keepsake box for my niece's wedding. My question is, is there a standard size that one makes? Does it need to be able to hold a 8x10 photo or larger? How deep? Any suggestions as to size and any pictures of your project would be much appreciated. Thanks Tommy
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-24-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed thumbs-down which seemed unintentional...

I don't know any rule that says memories come in certain sizes, but I usually make them about 9x12 inches, to comfortably hold a piece of regular paper, which also covers envelopes, photos, etc. 2-3 inches deep feels good, but again, no rules. See www.plesums.com/wood/other/membox.html for pictures and notes. Note also that the last one on the page is larger - for no special reason other than it was a gift to another woodworker, and that size showed off the wood in the best way.

My wife often makes a personalized gift to put in the box (such as embroidered towels or something) so the memory box is also a gift box.

Thanks Charlie. See you Thursday week in Austin

Most of mine have been sized to handle 4x6 photos, with 4.25"x6.25" as the internal dimensions, maybe 2.5"-3" height. They're a little easier to fit on a shelf or mantle, and people tend to frame the bigger stuff anyway. (An example is here.)

But I'll admit I have some bias toward smaller projects.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Keep the dimensional "golden rule" in mind.... 1:6.. Example.... 5"x8".. any size'll do, I'm sure!

Ed, what's the golden rule for size. Please explain how 1:6 (don't know what that means) is examplified by 5x8. Thanks, Vince

Blog Entries
    It's been covered pretty good here....
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=golden+rule

The 5x8 example is just using a 5" width, multiplied by 1.6 to come up with the 8" length...

If I had an 8" width, then, proportionally, at least according to the "golden rule", the length would be around 12.8"...

Suppose to have been a "studied" "rule" in proportions.... not sure, really, but it seems to apply and look good at any size, even coffee tables, etc..

Hope that helps....
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 08-25-2008 at 9:36 PM.

weddind Gift

I just made this one for that purpose. The divided insert comes out and the bottom is tan leather. The box is constructed of Wenge on the sides and a figured Maple top and splines. The divider insert is Mahogany as the bottom. I did not like working with the Wenge as it is very dusty and it chips and splinters; especially on the mitered corners. I like Charlie's idea of laser engraving the top with an image of the invitation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Nice work, Dino. I make the assumption that there will be fancy albums for the sorted stuff, and the memory box is the junk collector, so I don't bother with dividers, etc., but I may have to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Drosas View Post
    (snip) I like Charlie's idea of laser engraving the top with an image of the invitation.
    The laser folks can work from an image of the invitation, but several have warned me that the engraving will not be as crisp as working from a font (the laser engravers look like a printer to the attached computer). Therefore, each time I have found a very similar font, and created a Word document with the text and layout of the invitation. Nobody has noticed the near (but not exact) match. Also be aware that the invitation will be a lot larger on the lid than in real life (unless you have a photo box like Lee suggested). Also decide whether you want to include the line "Reception immediately following the ceremony" that is sometimes on the invitation.