Thread: First acrylic turnings - not too hard to do

First acrylic turnings - not too hard to do

I wanted to get acrylics a try but was shy from hearing horror stories about the skill in not melting or blowing them out. I was surprised at how easy they were. The first ones took me a long time, but by #4 I was knocking them out almost the same time as with wood. I used my gouge for about 95% of the removal and then cleaned it up with the skew. Pictured at 4 comfort pens, the guardian and a few tycoons. I fell in love with the feel of the tycoon and the look of the Lava Bright Silk from PSI.

One word of warning with the tycoon assembly, on the main part you have to press the two black threaded pieces one on each side of the barrel, if you aren’t careful you can press the one side more while you are pressing the other side. Now one of them only takes a quarter turn to uncap. But you can prevent this by resting the opposite end on the chrome area while pressing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they look pretty good. I think the one on the right of the comfort1 picture (kind of a blue and white one) is my favorite.

Michael - I had to laugh when you pointed to the white/blue one was your favorite. My wife wanted that material, I couldn't stand it. I displayed all of these pens on my desk at work and every single person picked that one up first! Since the material was on closeout, we ran back to PSI and bought most of what they had. Hopefully it'll be a good seller! And of course its grown on me now too.

They look pretty good to me. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.