Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reeves drive or electronic?

Reeves drive or electronic?

I searched the forum, and now I know what a reeves drive is. How does it compair to a electronic variable speed drive? Which is more reliable, quieter, cheaper to repair etc? What are the disadvantages/advantages of each?

Since visiting Ken Fitzgerald's shop, my wife keeps talking about getting a mustard. I'm just having a hard time envisioning that particular condiment in our budget. I have looked at the Jet lathes, and the 1642EVS might be affordable. If I start saving my pennies now (and selling my blood), I might make it in 15-20 years. The 14 inch models are certainly more in reach, but I don't know about the Reeves drive, and I want to do some outboard work with some 32-36 inch platters. I am worried that I might need the 2 hp model. At an extra $900, I'm not sure I can swing it (forgive the pun). Now my head is starting to hurt. Maybe I'll just have to stick with my MIDI. Can anyone shed some light?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I own both----Mustard and Reeves (Delta 46-715)
    Trust me save and go Mustard.
    I think this is wriiten in stone somewhere.
    No woodworker has ever said these words.
    "Gee I wish have had bought a smaler Lathe"
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have to agree with Gary, having owned a couple of Reeves drive lathes and having graduated to a Mustard Monster, there's no comparison. Both of my Reeves drive lathes could only get down to about 600 RPMs, far too fast for an out of balance piece in the 12-16" diameter and absolutely out of the question for anything larger.

The Jet 1642 EVS is a great alternative to the Powermatic, as would be a Nova DVR XP. I've turned on both and found them more than capable.

Jason

Hi Brian
    A good quality reeves drive works fine and last a long long time, and you can fix the mechanical parts if needed, that's the good side.
    Problem is I don't know of any lathe with a good quality reeves drive except the big Canadian build General lathe, all the other ones are a pain in the A?? and cease up and the lowest speeds on those are too high for your large platter turning.
    Some of the Electronic ones are able to start at nearly 0 RPM, so thats fine, but if it goes kaput, it is an expensive repair you can't do yourself (counts for most people) you do loose a bunch of power at the low end, but most have two or more ranges so you can keep the motor RPMs up and so your power curve is better that way.
    So my opinion is if you can afford it, go with the electronic variable drive, a Oneway would be nice but there are lesser lathes to choose from
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 08-26-2008 at 4:55 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Electronic variable speed is on most higher end models. Current Reeves drive remains on the the "budget" models. In order to cut cost and not to cannibal their higher end model, too many corners have been cut. If Toyota and Honda are as good as Lexus and Acura, they would hurt the sales of their prestige brand divisions.

The down side of the Reeves drive:
    high minimum speed
    high maintenance
    can only change speed when the lathe is running

I would rather have a manual pulley speed change if EVS is not available.

Not counting the clones, how many new models with Reeves drive were introduced in the last couple years? That is a dying technology.
    Gordon

I agree with Gordon. Reeves drives can be high maintenance along with a high low end speed. I would take either a EVS and if I couldn't have that I would do a belt change drive like the Nova 1624.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Highly suggest you save your money and then buy something that you can grow into instead of grow out of. Stuff ain't cheap but the mustard could be the last lathe you'll ever need!

I do have the Jet 1642 EVS and have been extremely happy with it. If you don't see the need to turn anything over 16" then it is a great lathe to consider.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 08-26-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You would probably be unhappy with any reeves drive lathe, for all the reasons already stated. If cost is a driving issue, I would strongly suggest the Jet 1642, in either 1.5 or 2 hp. Either 1642 model provides a great VS system that you will be very happy with. The 1.5 hp has 115v/20a power requirements, and probably has enough power for most turning. The 2hp uses the same 230v/9a motor and electronics as the PM, I believe, and with a little creativity on your part, you could devise an outboard tool rest for turning larger than 16" by sliding the headstock to the right end of the ways. If you want to turn really large on a regular basis, then the PM with the outboard tool rest option would be the way to go.

Like they said, EVS.
    robo hippy

Brian;
    I've heard it mentioned somewhere, I think OWWM, or you tube, if you have single phase, that you could use a 3 phase motor w/ a VSD, & get speeds from 0 to full. Check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Highly suggest you save your money and then buy something that you can grow into instead of grow out of. Stuff ain't cheap but the mustard could be the last lathe you'll ever need!

I do have the Jet 1642 EVS and have been extremely happy with it. If you don't see the need to turn anything over 16" then it is a great lathe to consider.
    What he said

If 32 to 36" platter are the plan you will need at least 2 hp. Cutting a 3/16" shaving on that circumference of a disk will stall easily. I have no problem slowing down my Robust 3 hp to a crawl with a 24" bowl blank. Turning platter that big will test you tool skills. As the disk thins it will vibrate and set up harmonics leaving ripples and tear out. The Mustard is the only choice I see from your list.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grinsell View Post
    Brian;
    I've heard it mentioned somewhere, I think OWWM, or you tube, if you have single phase, that you could use a 3 phase motor w/ a VSD, & get speeds from 0 to full. Check it out
    Use of a 3-phase motor is not required should you wish to use after-market VFD.

Most VFDs are entirely capable of taking 1-phase input and providing variable speed 1-phase out. I can't/won't comment on the physical features between various lathes, but I would give serious consideration to buying a suitable sized and priced lathe with a simple multistep pulley set-up on 1-phase motor. Set pulley for 'medium' speed and then install a VFD able to drive the motor up to 90-120Hz (for those hopefully rare times it is necessary). 90% of your speed adjustments are then handled just by setting the VFD.

VFDs have the added benefit of converting 1-phase to 3-phase.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-22-2015 at 8:11 PM.

What about the new Green Monster, G0766. 3 HP, VFD and 22" capacity of the ways? Many of us have them and I've only heard good things about them, except the first few that arrived damaged, etc. I am loving mine, but haven't really put it to a serious test yet. I need to get my confidence and skill levels up to what that lathe can do.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Please note that this thread is over 7 years old!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!