Thread: Power tool battery packs

Power tool battery packs

Have any of you guys had your battery packs rebuilt? If so, who would you recommend and do they work well? I have 7 packs going dead and I might as well buy new tools considering the price of batteries.

I've had good luck with this outfit

www.mtobattery.com. Quick turnaround and the replacement batteries were as good or better than the original cells. Turnaround a week or so depending on shipping.

I sent some porter-cable 9.0v drill batteries off to a company advertised in Family Handyman a few years back. I can't remember the name off-hand. The batteries never would charge in the original PC charger. I have to charge them 'manually' using one of my model airplane chargers. The packs work fine and definitely have longer run times than they had before, but there must be something proprietary in the PC charger that knows if the cells are different.

Quote Originally Posted by rob mason View Post
    I sent some porter-cable 9.0v drill batteries off to a company advertised in Family Handyman a few years back. I can't remember the name off-hand. The batteries never would charge in the original PC charger. I have to charge them 'manually' using one of my model airplane chargers. The packs work fine and definitely have longer run times than they had before, but there must be something proprietary in the PC charger that knows if the cells are different.
    WOW, that's a problem.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I sent off 3 to MTO several weeks ago and got them back promptly. The rebuilt batteries work flawlessly and stay charged longer than the remaining stock ones that I have (they were all 18v Dewalt). MTO periodically runs specials with free return shipping).

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

Hart Batteries

I used Hart Batteries for a rebuild of two of my PC 19.2V batteries. Great job and better than new. I think I found him on Ebay but communicated privately because he did not advertise the 19.2 but did advertise everything else. I'm about to send him two more. Oh yeah, and they work on the charger just fine.

Good Luck,

James

Milwaukee too

I had the problem with some for my milwaukee 18volt. Would not charge on that new charger. Old charger was dead. Gave them to habitat. from batt plus Harry

MTO Battery

I had a good experience with MTO also. They used to be called Battery Rebuilders. My very old PC 12v batteries are better than new and work in my existing charger. Very easy to deal with and a great website.

www.mtobattery.com/store
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I use battteryrebuilders.com. The owner is a member here on SMC. Does a good job. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

The prices I get from mto on 12v are about $70 to rebuild 2 batteries with shipping.

This:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS12DV...859864&sr=1-11

is a better deal for me. But I might build up my collection of the 18volt Ryobi stuff. I like the idea of 1 universal battery , especially now when I have a PC drill needing new batteries.

Don't forget to check eBay. I got two brand-new 14.4 V DeWalt batteries for about $20 each. I couldn't believe it, but figured I couldn't go too far wrong. They were original DeWalt XRP batteries.

The batteries you will get back from MTO are better than buying new batteries from the tool manufacturer. I have had Jason rebuild several Dewalt batteries with excellent results.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries
    Can't believe I didn't respond. MTO did my DeWalts and Makitas. Great work. I did the upgrade one level. Power and charge-hold greatly improved; of course hey were dying when I had them rebuilt. But I have two new ones for the DeWalt as well as the 7 year old ones I had rebuilt and the rebuilts kick their butt.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler