Thread: Project Completion gloat/Marc Adams school of woodworking trip report

Project Completion gloat/Marc Adams school of woodworking trip report

Last weekend I took a course from Master woodworker Graham Blackburn at the Marc Adams school of woodworking. The course description was as follows: MAKE A BIBLE BOX WITH HAND-CUT DOVETAILS, LUNETTES, AND FLUTES WITH GRAHAM BLACKBURN.

My primary goal was to learn to hand cut dovetails. Something about them was proving difficult for me to learn by reading so I thought a course was just what I needed. It was. Now I understand the concepts so completely that I bet I could teach them. I also got started in carving. Learning dovetails and carving in red oak is tough but I still enjoyed the class.

(click on the image for my trip report)

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/projects/bible_box

Thanks for the report on the school, Matt. I keep hearing good things about it from folks who have attended classes. Nice job on the box, too. I agree with your instructor...the dovetails are sweet!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,
    Very nice! I can't believe you couldn't hand cut a dovetail before this. They turned out beautifully. The box is very nice.

Bob
    "The confidence of humankind is based not on superior strength or speed but on our abilities to shape the materials of our environment and to communicate our experiences. With each swing of the axe, each joining of the wood, you build and preserve within you the living memory of this timeless trade." - Roy Underhill

Great report Matt

For that matter the bible box isn't too shabby either. I would agree with both you and Graham Blackburn. The dovetails came out great and I agree that either watching them being cut or being instructed is far better than trying to learn from instructions or a book. Manual skills whether they be sports, woodworking, or any other category are best learned by watching a demo with a commentary and then by actually doing the hands on. Thanks for posting the link.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH