Thread: Alternative to dado/router?

Question Alternative to dado/router?

Hi everyone. There appears to be some great info and resources here. Could anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Instead of using, say, 3/4" plywood, I use 3/8" plywood, and glue the inner panels in such a way to make virtual grooves. This would be fairly easy using my table saw. Then, I'd cover the front seams with trim pieces. Since I'm not an experienced wood-worker, I may not see the flaws in this thinking.

Thanks all.
    Artie

That will work. However, you could use your table saw to cut the dados in 3/4" plywood. It would be quicker than going the lamination route.

Thanks Jamie. Part of my thinking is that this might be a stronger structure. Also, since I don't need to "slide" the shelves into a groove, the tolerances could be tighter. In other words, I'd build up the supports from the bottom up as I went.

Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie Hall View Post
    Thanks Jamie. Part of my thinking is that this might be a stronger structure. Also, since I don't need to "slide" the shelves into a groove, the tolerances could be tighter. In other words, I'd build up the supports from the bottom up as I went.

Maybe not.
    If you laminate two 3/8" pieces of plywood, you'll get one 3/4" piece of plywood, so the structures should be similarly strong.

Me, I don't build a bookcase by depending on just those joints to hold it square. To prevent racking, I put a back on at least part of it.

I would definitely use a back also. My "Art" work doesn't show that. Part of the impetus for this idea came from a need to add some shelves deep within a closet. I thought it might be easier to cut all of the pieces and then build them up from the bottom from within the closet. As opposed to building a complete structure and trying to wrangle it in there.

Laminating two pieces of 3/8" plywood in place would be no picnic. It would be very hard to put pressure on the lamination all the way across.

If you are working inside a closet, I can see it, I would use a construction adhesive and nails. For most building though, carefully fit dadoes are the way to go.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Thats a good point, John. And one I hadn't thought of. I may have to test two pieces and see if this will be feasable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie Hall View Post
    Could anyone tell me if this is a bad idea?
    Its one of those things that sounds good on paper. Even if your bookcase is only 10 inches deep or so, I can see some challenges providing even clamping pressure across the surface. Another challenge is that large laminations of that sort tend to creep.

It could be done but I think you are making a lot of work for yourself. If a frame is going to hide what's back there anyway, you could use cleats(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another challenge is that large laminations of that sort tend to creep.
    Thanks Glenn. Thats one more aspect that I didn't think of.

Artie, yes it will work as others have stated. But you may end up paying a lot more for your material as 1/2" (and presumably 3/8" ply if you can find it) cost nearly as much as 3/4" product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...