Thread: Stanley No. 59 Dowel Jig - Need Instructions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stanley No. 59 Dowel Jig - Need Instructions

Rearranging the shop this week, I came across a couple Stanley No. 59 Doweling Jigs, purchased several years ago at a garage sale. No instructions. Anyone have a set of instructions they could scan or copy for me?

Or, a detailed tutorial?

Thanks, Todd

Todd,
    Is it the same as the Marples? I have those instructions?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I too have a couple of these; one my fathers, and one mine, bought before he passed away. There should be sleeves or guide bushings, in sizes ranging from about 3/16ths, to 1/2". Install the guide of the correct diameter for the dowel and bit you are using in the "V" shaped portion, and tighten it up with the screw. Then clamp the jig to the edge of the workpiece, after adjusting the depth of the bushing for the center of the board you will be drilling. Lay up your boards, mark across both boards for each dowel, and place the jig, oriented to the top of the boards always, and drill. There is an etched line whihc will let you align the jig correctly so that the two drill holes will meet, and thus accept the dowel. Pretty simple tool. I seem to recall that it is betetr to leave the bushing about 1/4" high, which gives the drilling waste a place to escape. I haven't dowelled in years, so all of this is from memory. Anyone interested in my older (1970's) No. 59?
    Alan

Alan, thanks. I figured that all out last night. My questions have to do with:

1) the graduation marks on the two scales that are supposed to be telling me something. There is a ruler scale on the fixed portion of the jig, and the other scale is on the sliding portion of the jig. It has reference to Bit #, or Drill #, marked in increments of 4 (4, 8, 12, etc.), with little tick marks in between. I know I can use the jig, as you described above, but there is some purpose to the use of these two scales.

2) With the kit, there is a funny shaped bushing (or ?) with two tangs off the bell-bottom end, and a screw in the side of it. What is that for?

Here's a picture to jog your memory: http://www.mjdtools.com/tools/list_220/25999.htm

Thanks, Todd

The graduations, again from memory, are as follows. The #s relate to bit size, in 16ths, like the old augers. The bell shaped piece is a depth stip, again for hand augers. The graduations are in 1/2 scale, as I recall, for centering the hole in the baord, top to bottom. So, if your board is 3/4" thick, set the guage at 3/4, which is 1/2 scale, which will center it. I hope senior moments are not abounding.
    Alan

I think that is a drill stop collar. Specifically I believe it is for use with an auger vs. a twist drill. I'm not sure what the tangs are for. As to your other question I'll guess those numbers guid you in centering the dowel. Obviously. if you have the jig set for one size dowel you'll have to change the setting to keep it centered if you chane the bushing size. I believe the numbers refer to the number of 1/16 inches of your dowel size. These are guesses from a long time ago. Please follow them with caution.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Todd,

I have one of those and I think I have the original instructions. I'll check tonight and post back what I find.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Stanley 59 Dowel Jig Instruction Sheet

I know that this is a very old post, but I found it while searching. At the same time, I found an instruction sheet online at http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...misc/59man.pdf.

Jim