Thread: frustrated with local sawmill

frustrated with local sawmill

Sometime around February of this year I bought some real nice 3/4x6x24 tiger maple boards with the intent of resawing and drumsanding a couple them to make bookmatched panels for toolbox lids. I have dealt with my local sawmill for a couple years, provided them with probably a couple thousdand dollars in business, they have always been easy to work with and didn't mind filling small orders for me.

Owner said it might be a little while, his bandsaw was inaccessible or something. I paid for the work up front said fine, no hurry. Projected completion date for this project was June so I could give one of them to my dad for father's day. I'd call every few weeks, haven't got to it, haven't got to it. About May I placed an order, went to go pick it up, behold there is a ~20" SCMI bandsaw that looks pretty accessible, and there are my boards sitting in the same place, dusty.

About July the owner said he gave them to his friend to have him run them. I said OK, if I can have them before the end of July so I can finish the box and give it to my dad for his birthday. I have been calling every 2 weeks and he can't get them back or something. I think now we are in September.

I have 2 more tiger maple boards I could take somewhere else, not like this is rare exotic super expensive wood, but I don't buy much figured wood and like it to last for other projects. What would you do? All I want is my wood back, finished or not at this point
    on the road during the week, will reply to PMs on weekends.

Time to change sawmills. These little family owned places go through phases and sometimes they put the customer last. The writing is on the wall; you need a bandsaw!

Anytime I need something done I tell them I need it right away even if I do or not. I use to tell my car repair place when I dropped off the car they could have it all day. Always found my car got pushed off to the end of day and never ready when needed. I now drop it off ,Give them my cell phone number and say I will wait for it. I'll be next door eating breakfast. In fact I get a ride back home and do what I need for the day. Go pick up at MY convenience.

When you saw it setting next to the Bandsaw all dusty you should have grabbed it then thanked him and told him to keep the money for storage fee's. You would have your lumber at least and could have found someplace else to get it cut the way you want.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

You need to put your foot down....

I need my boards done or the boards and the money I pre paid by next week and mail it to him..

You need to make a clear Demand Letter......
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 09-01-2008 at 7:42 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Ok...take a deep breath, head to the mill, pick up your boards and (once they are in your hand) demand a refund for the pre-paid resaw service they did not provide to you on a timely basis. You may not get your money back, but you have to ask. And obviously, find a different supplier. These folks don't want you as a customer. And if you have a receipt for the pre-paid services, you might mention the idea of small claims court.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That order will take about 5 minutes to set up and less than five minutes to run. No reason for this to get under your skin or for them to take so long in doing it. Time to handle it in person. Get your boards, ask them if there is some sort of problem, and do they really want the work or the business in a calm and friendly manner. I figure you either reach a break through or a break down at that point. Might be some good reason they haven't had the few minutes it takes to process your order, and it may make you feel better knowing that reason though it doesn't change your need or desire to have the work done.

It sure is nice having a band saw in the shop to handle those types of cuts.

The owner said he's hurt real bad, will stop by in person tomorrow and see if this is the case.

I do have a bandsaw, a little tiny one

Whatever transpires, these will be some nice toolboxes. Similar to the one David Marks made out of walnut and maple, the walnut one might be dad's christmas present, the oak one for my shop.

Ryan, hurt or not, you are owed your material and if they cannot provide the service you pre-paid for, they that fee should be refunded. There are plenty of woodworkers in your area that you likely can get assistance in getting the resaw work done so you can move on your project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a mill and I custom saw for others. I rarely sell wood as I seem to enjoy collecting it

I have NEVER accepted payment before a job was completed, and I would never expect it. I hope everything worked out to your satisfaction. At least it looks like you got your wood.