Thread: Shoe Rack Plans??

Shoe Rack Plans??

Just had a customer ask if I could build her a shoe rack for her "hundreds" of shoes. Does anyone have/or know where I could look at some plans?
    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

I just did a Google Images Search for Shoe Rack and it showed lots of ideas. Some of them pretty innovative. No plans, but most look quite straight forward.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Thanks John! Those are the type of ideas/pictures I needed to get started.

Here's something simple I've done in a walk-in closet. The closet had lots of height-adjustable shelves. They were done with the 32mm columns of holes for shelf-support pegs. If you set the rear pair of pegs higher than the front pair, you have a tilted shelf -- just what folks seem to want for shoe storage. To prevent the tilted shelves from slipping forward, I put a simple groove on the bottom of the shelf where the shelf pins are. These shelves were plywood, which I needed to edge-band anyhow, so I made the solid-lumber edge-band taller so it serves as a lip. Simple, but effective.

One nice effect of this approach is that the homeowner can use the shelves either horizontal or tilted, for shoes or other kinds of clothes.

Good idea! I was dreading having to cut all those dados, not to mention the time involved in making a jig(angled) to cut them all. This will be much simplier

For extra credit, please explain to me why people want to store shoes on a tilt. Storing shoes on a horizontal shelf is apparently not acceptable, but I've never understood why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For extra credit, please explain to me why people want to store shoes on a tilt. Storing shoes on a horizontal shelf is apparently not acceptable, but I've never understood why.
    Extra extra credit . . . who could need more than five pairs of shoes?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'm going to guess here...

I bet it's because you can see the shoes better when they are on a tilt.

If you do it like this: http://www.aclosetcase.com/Images/cl...hoe%20rack.jpg

You can obviously see how that allows for better view of the shows. If it's just a box, it's covered by the one above it.

Again, total guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Thompson View Post
    You can obviously see how that allows for better view of the shows.
    Look at the bottom shelf in that pic. If it were not tilted, you'd have a better view of the whole shoe.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Look at the bottom shelf in that pic. If it were not tilted, you'd have a better view of the whole shoe.
    That's a bit silly. One shelf doesn't = a whole design aspect. Also, No, I can't agree that you'd have a better view at foot level of something that isn't at an angle. It would be totally covered by the shelf above it! You'd only see the back of the shoe. The slant allows you to see all the way to the laces.