Thread: DIY Drum Sander...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY Drum Sander...

I have been toying around the idea of building my own drum sander, like the following:

http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html

Today I had another idea and I wanted to run it by the forum. Is it possible to convert a lunch box planer into a drum sander? I have seen a lot of good deals for 13" planers on Craigslist. I would be happy with a 13" sander, since I plan to mostly sand strips of wood for veneer purposes.

Will it work? I'm not sure how easy/quick it would be remove and add new sand paper to a homemade roller...

I guess it was a silly idea..?!?

Not silly kind of cool I know on 22-44 pro flex can be a issue and that is all steal on 2 big colums holding it. It really loads down sometimes as well depending on what you are taking off with what grit. I would be hesident to build I think this is better off just finding one on craigs list. To many things to go wrong and being that much wood I think it would flex to much to garentee consistency. Besides the motors and speed controls would run you as much as a used one.
    -=Jason=-

On your second question, no, you really couldn't convert a planer to a drum sander largely because the speed would be way too fast...you'd probably start a fire lickety split with your first pass. The RPM of a drum sander is no more that a few hundred RPM. A planer typically has an RPM measured in the thousands.

As to building your own drum sander, there have been a few threads on this topic over time. In general, they work, but not ideally. These are typically the type where the drum is in the "table" and you push the work over the rotating drum. Commercial drum sanders typically have an arm that holds the drum over the workpiece and a conveyor that feeds the material. These are build of heavy castings and even then they can have flex issues...I doubt you could do an open-end machine from scratch, but might be able to do it with a closed end machine that is supported on both sides. Might cost less in time and materials to just buy one, however, especially if you can find a used unit in the Free Classifieds here at SMC, in other forums or on Craig's List.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you seen the drum sander kit that is available from www.stockroomsupply.com ? They sell a kit which includes the drum, shaft, bearings, pulleys, and belt with plans to build the sander. You need to find a motor and build the rest. It's something like a Sandflea and not what many people consider a "drum sander" as it can't be used to take an 1/8 or 1/16 off the surface in one pass, but for small part flattening it's great. I built one last year and am very pleased with the results that I get with it.

Charley

I recently finished building a drum sander. I have documented it in the following two threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83816
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87536

Since then, I have been using it for almost anything I build and it has been a GREAT machine. I would say works flawlessly.
    The only problem I have is now there is not much room in the shop, so have to move things around. That's why I put it on casters.