Thread: Sofa Table Help

Sofa Table Help

Iso.jpgFront.jpgBottom.jpgTop.jpgSide.jpg

Hi folks,

New to woodworking and am trying my hand at a sofa table design and above is what I have come up with in Sketchup. The materials are maple, mahogany, and aluminum.

The L-Shaped legs are going to be connected with a long bevel cut. The grey on the legs are aluminum angles that will be screwed to the legs.

The bands on the on the ends of the tabletop would be an aluminum flat. Would screwing this into the end grain impede the movement of the wood too much?

I am looking for advice on how to attach the table top to the two rails and the two rails to the apron to create the lifted tabletop effect.

Thanks for any input,
    Nate

2. Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Birrell View Post
    The bands on the on the ends of the tabletop would be an aluminum flat. Would screwing this into the end grain impede the movement of the wood too much?

I am looking for advice on how to attach the table top to the two rails and the two rails to the apron to create the lifted tabletop effect.

.................................................. ..
    Nate
    Yes, attaching aluminum strips might be too restrictive for wood movement. But if you use slotted holes in the aluminum, the problem is eliminated.

And you could use slotted holes in the rails for attachment to both the top, and the aprons.

Thanks!

I'm going to be at Lee Valley tomorrow so I think I will pick up some expansion washers to try out for the slotted holes.

-Nate