Thread: Porch Swing Frame

Porch Swing Frame

I am looking for an idea to build a frame for a porch swing frame, but without the porch. I'd like to put it out in the yard. I'm also looking for something other than an A-frame design. Has anyone ever built a frame using just 2 4x4 vertical posts mounted in the ground (i.e. fence posts), and then run a beam 4x4 or 4x6 across the top to hang the swing from. Would this be strong enough without flexing as them swing moves?

I also found this design on-line and am considering it as well. Does anyone have any other ideas along this line, or has anyone ever built and used this type of frame? Thanks for your imput. Pics would be appreciated!!!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Keel, I once did a child's swing on 6x6 posts with a cross-beam to support the swing. It seemed to do OK, but would loosen in the summer as the ground dried out. The posts didn't give, but we would get some slop in the holes. As I recall, I sunk the posts about 30-36". I don't think concrete would help unless is was a larger pour with some depth and area to it that would spread the stresses.

I doubt that such an arrangement would work for the force vectors of an adult swing, particularly one that may include 2 people at times.

Even with the attractive design in your link, I would want to sink a section of 4x4 at each end of the "feet" connected to the feet. Sometimes at family gatherings swings attract some plump individuals. On the other hand, pulling Aunt Bessie out of an overturned swing, with her dress over her head, can be entertaining!!

John

I can understand the stresses that the frame might be under when dealing with kids' swings, but with a porch swing? I would think that most of the stress would be downward pressure.

Still, it is something to consider. Thanks for posting.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Keel McDonald ><>