Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving a 3520b on wheels?

moving a 3520b on wheels?

I saw the pic where someone uses a hydrolic table from HF to move the lathe but has anyone tried Zambus wheels on this or something similar? The legs are threaded so this should be easy if you have used them and it worked what model number did you use?
    -=Jason=-

Lift

Jason, On the advise of several people on this forum I got the hydraulic lift table from Harbor Freight and never regreted it. It moves the PM3520B easily, sits under the lathe and doesn't take up room in my shop/garage, and still allows the lathe to sit firmly on the floor during use. I've found a lot of other uses for it, too, both as a table and sometimes as a seat. On sale I paid about $160.

Another vote for the lift.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Jason,
    The Powermatic legs are threaded for 3/8 x 16 threads.
    The Zambus casters with a stem range from
    m 8 x 1.25mm to m 16 x 2.0 mm.
    You would need to redrill and retap the legs to put the Zambus casters on.
    tim mathis
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

An engine hoist is a help for assembly. I made a ballast box for extra height, weight and stability and put zambus on that. I then rolled it across my shop and lowered the feet on the casters. I can balance a nickle on the ways and the head in any orientation when stopping and starting the lathe with an off balance 40 lb bowl blank on the lathe.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

The most important thing relative to lathe mobility is that when it's not being moved, you need to have the legs directly on the floor. That's where ordinary casters are "out". Zambus are unique in that they offer the feature of a "foot" when you are not mobile, but the downside is that they would raise the machine height if installed directly under the legs. For that reason, if the height difference were a factor for you, you'd need to deal with a welded frame or bracket that would accommodate the Zambus units. The hydraulic table is a very viable option and if you plan things well, it can also be a very useful thing to have around the shop...make an auxiliary top for it and you have an adjustable height assembly surface for "Flat" projects! This is one place where there are some good values from Harbor Freight on the hydraulic table...

BTW, when you move a cast iron lathe around, it's critical that you check the spindle alignment after the feet are back on the floor. Cast iron bends and floors are never perfectly flat. If you are moving it for "storage" when not in use and returning to the same spot, mark the foot positions on the floor with tape so that you can reduce the need for this adjustment check.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-04-2008 at 9:10 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok you convinced me to get the hydrolic table. I see one pic the guy has the 500 lbs model is that enought? Did it hold up ok? The bigger one looks to be much bigger and i want to keep it to a minimum.
    -=Jason=-

bump.... ... ...
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries

Hydraulic Lift Table

BUMP

I want to know which one you each bought and how often they go on Sale?

I have wanted one for awhile now.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Scott they don't necess need to be on sale if you have the catalog number you can order it at the sale price or walk into the store with it and they usally honor it. I found the 500lbs one for $89 and I beleve that is the one someone has pictured and is using so I was hoping for feedback since it seems light but if it works. If not they have a 1000 lbs one but it is close to $200 and out of stock there is another orange $1000 one for $250ish but the the 1000 lbs ones weigh something like 200lbs.
    -=Jason=-

I got the smaller table & it's fantastic, I use it constantly as a work
    station table also.

DSC00638 copy.jpg

DSC00640 copy.jpg

DSC00643 copy.jpg

DSC00614 copy.jpg

Perfect Mike thanks, was worried about the 500 lbs weight limit but doesn't seem to be a issue.
    -=Jason=-

Would you happen to be the American & Proud account from woodnet.net? I was just surprised to see a similar phrase here on this site. If it is you then... Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    BUMP

I want to know which one you each bought and how often they go on Sale?

I have wanted one for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I found the 500lbs one for $89 and I beleve that is the one someone has pictured and is using so I was hoping for feedback since it seems light but if it works.
    Where did you find it for that price? I would buy one as well! The best I have seen is $169 and half off seems like a great price!

Thanks!!!
    Joshua

Blog Entries
    Yes Josh, The one and Only.

I'm glad I was able to help you out.

I also only see 3 listed at HF one at $169.99 500LB. and one at $239.99 1000LB and one at $339.99 770LB I got a HF flyer in the mail today the one for $239.99 is listed in it but not on Sale. I may just buy it though I need to move my 3520B.

Any HF coupons out there ?
    EDIT : Looking on HF I did find another sale flyer and 2 are on sale, I'll be buying the 1000LB one on sale for $199.00. COOL.
    Last edited by Scott Hubl; 09-05-2008 at 6:04 PM.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.