Thread: Remember my tapered crescent question? Here's the alternative:

Remember my tapered crescent question? Here's the alternative:

3 piece Walnut ornament stand and 3 piece birdhouse ornament

Stand: 6-1/4t x 5w
    Birdhouse: 2-1/2t x 1-3/4w
    Finish is wipe on poly.

The stand is turned in three pieces, base, stem, and bead. The bent portion was half boiled, half steamed in a fry pan, bent by hand (hot!) then held in place with some strap off a back pack until dry. I trimmed the stem at the apex of the curve, and fitted the bead on the end.

The fittings were hand made with beading wire.

The bird house is made in three pieces, the body of Peach, the top of Sweet Gum, and the perch of walnut.

I'm pleased with the result, although I'd have more of a shoulder on the tenon next time. I barely had enough to register it in the mortise, and had a few cracks that I filled with coffee and CA glue.
    Also I haven't figured out how to turn the raised portion of the base off center yet or I'd have done that... I'll have to think on that some more...

I gave up on the crescent idea, since I needed to build a jig before I could do it. Although... I'm not sure this wasn't more work initially. Next time though it'll be a cinch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should be pleased Jim. Wow that is a great looking stand and birdhouse. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim - that's impressive work! Great imagination! Must have been quite the challenge to figure out but sure looks like it was worth it! Seriously - nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow that is nice. Very delicate looking. You did great work!!

Nice Job Jim, I love making birdhouse ornaments, and the only thing left is a picture of them, these things go like snow for the sun, thanks for showing
    Have fun and take care

Most unique birdhouse I've seen Jim. Outstanding job, I'm sure you're proud of this one.