Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopfox Moulder

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Urbas View Post
    For those still shopping, I see that Griz still has the SF molder/planer on sale on its WEB site.
    Why is Grizzly selling Shop Fox equipment? I thought they were competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by David Freed View Post
    Why is Grizzly selling Shop Fox equipment? I thought they were competitors.
    Umm...no. Interrelated companies via ownership. ShopFox (Woodstock International) is primarily for the brick and mortar retail re-sale market which Griz is direct sales. But there are a few unique products in the ShopFox livery that are also sold direct by Griz.

And as Shiraz stated, this is a screaming good deal if you need a molder...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had mine for going on 2 yrs now and love it...... It makes cutting large cove's for the tops of cabinets and hutches real easy. When I bought mine the single speed was the only option, last christmas I added the upgrade vs option......

See thread below for the vs install if you buy the single speed version.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73715

Informal comparison of old and new models

Shopfox had two of the new model molders at the IWF which I inspected closely. Brochures on the new unit were not even printed yet. I had looked at the closeout model a little over a year ago. I offer the following observations as comparison between the two units. Bear with me as this may not be 100% accurate - after all, it is my memory and it isn't what it used to be.
    1. The new model has a much longer feed table than the original. I would estimate the new table length at 24 - 30 inches. The closeout model has rollers mounted to the stand while the new model does not.
    2. The new model has a cast iron frame with the head moving on dovetailed ways. The old model is like the W&H and rides on 2 posts.
    3. The longer table has T slots milled into the bed at the infeed and outfeed. Steel guides are attached via the T slots. I don't recall how the closeout model guides are mounted but I don't recall T slots milled in the bed.
    4. The base is totally enclosed on the new model vs. the closeout model that is open.
    5. The hood on the new molder is slightly different and the sales folks seemed to make a big deal over the plastic see through window to see that the chip collection is functioning properly.
    6. The controls are mounted on a post and appear to be more convenient than the original model.
    7. The cutterhead now has a ledge on it like the W&H to align the knife projection from the cutterhead. When I looked at the previous model last year, I distinctly remember the cutterhead did not have that ledge and seemed to be a weakness when compared to the W&H.
    8. The variable feed looked like the same unit as used on the previous model.
    9. A Shelix type cutterhead is available as an option on the new model. I don't remember whether this was truly the Shelix brand as offered by Byrd Tool.
    Overall, I would say the new model has a number of significant feature improvements over the closeout model.
    Steve

Just got one

They still have the VS models in stock.
    In fact, I called this morning, they held one for me without my CC info.
    Drove up, picked it up. Warehouse guy said he had been shipping a lot of these in the past week.

6. Mismatched moldings was evidence of the additions to the century old farm house I purchased. I want to bring a level consistency to the finish work.
    Pricing finished molding for a two story house, led me to start looking for a used machine. From the few I saw; either they wanted as much as a new machine or they were in such disrepair and still wanted way too much. It seemed their attitude was, if you don't want it--someone else will. I noticed the CL listings for molders didn't last more than a day.
    When I saw the reduced price for the Shop Fox, it was an easy decision. Order 8/22/08, delivered 8/27 and setup 8/30.