Thread: Grizzly G0609 12" Jointer Review

Grizzly G0609 12" Jointer Review

After a lot of deliberating between the 8" G0495X and the 12" G0609, I finally decided to order the 12" G0609. The ordering process was painless and the Grizzly people were very helpful, answering all my questions. I placed my order on Wednesday the 27th and on the 28th I received an email letting me know that my order had be shipped out via FedEx Freight. On Friday I received a call from the freight company to schedule my delivery for Thursday the following week. After reading Jerry Booher's thread about shipping damage on grizzly products, I was a little nervous about the condition my jointer would be in by the time it arrived. I wasn't worried that Grizzly wouldn't take care of any shipping damage, I just didn't want to deal the hassle of waiting for replacement parts.

Thursday finally came and FedEx showed up on time. The driver backed his truck up my driveway and proceeded to unload my jointer with his pallet jack. I was concerned when I saw that the end of the plywood shipping container had come off. Upon closer inspection I didn't see any damage. The pallet was different then Jerry's. The bottom of the pallet was made of metal box tubing tack welded together with a piece of 3/4 ply on top. This was probably a requirement given the weight of the jointer.

(Click on any of the pictures to see the full size version)

All week I'd been wondering how I was going to get the jointer off the pallet and onto the floor. I figured I would probably end up renting a cherry picker to lift the jointer off the pallet. As I proceeded to uncrate the jointer, I realized that a cherry picker probably wouldn't work since there wasn't enough clearance to slide the legs under the pallet. I tried lifting one end of the jointer to see if I could slide it around on the pallet, but it wouldn't budge. After about 1/2 hour of trying to figure out how to get the jointer off the pallet, I discovered that the jointer was bolted down to the pallet. DOH! After I removed the bolts, I was able to slide the jointer off the pallet and onto the floor. With the heavy lifting out of the way, I proceeded to clean the oil off the jointer with simple green and a lot of paper towels. Man that oil was everywhere. I guess I can't complain, because there wasn't a spot of rust anywhere on the machine. After getting everything cleaned up, I installed the fence and replaced the stock v-belts with link belts. One of my concerns with the jointer had been around the fence system and the way it moves across the outfeed table as pointed out in Steve Kohn's review of the G0609. It turns out my jointer had the same issue that Steve's had, the fence sliding on the tables was scratching both the infeed and outfeed table. You can see the scratches in the picture below.

My solution was to smooth out the bottom of the fence with a file followed up with some 220 sandpaper. This removed any burrs and has really helped to prevent the fence form digging into the table. You can see the results below.

The other issue I discovered with the fence was the way the stop block (it's the small black block in the picture below) was bolted to the fence. Even after I tightened down the bolt holding the stop block in place, there was still some play in the stop block.

I ended up taking off the stop block and removing the small black collar from the hole (see below). With the collar removed, I bolted it back onto the fence with an extra washer. This allowed the stop block to be properly tightened without any play.

I checked the tables and fence for flatness with my 48" Starrett straight edge and both were perfectly flat. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the outfeed table came properly adjusted and the tables were already parallel.

After installing a NEMA L6-20 plug, I powered up the jointer and checked for any strange noises or vibrations. I was surprised at how quite the jointer ran. I'm used to working on my father's old 16" Yates American Pattern Makers jointer and the grizzly makes far less noise. The jointer easily passed the nickel test.

I've run a few pieces through it and have been impressed with the quality of the cut and how effortlessly it removes material. Below is a picture of a piece of 6" wide English oak that I ran through the jointer. The quality of the cut is outstanding.

The quality of the jointer is better that I expected from a Chinese made machine. Overall I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Last edited by Paul Gatti; 09-07-2008 at 4:20 PM.

Paul,

Great review! Shiraz (Papa Griz) is a member here and he'll be glad to see this review. You really shouldn't be surprised. In China, like any place else, you get what you pay for. Companies can control the quality of merchandise coming here from China, but like everything else, it's gonna cost more. IIRC Grizzley has their own quality control engineer in some of their plants there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Congrats Paul. You're gonna love that thing. It may be a non-issue now but I too had been warned about scratching my G0490X. I filed my fence as you describe and stuck on some UHMW tape. This has worked out well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Been very happy with mine too, have had it almost a year now.

Looking over the other brands of jointers with this design at IWF, they all seem to leave scratches in the tables as well. I was thinking about trying to glue felt on the bottom or something similiar--but I have found I don't move the fence much at all, so I guess I just don't care about this anymore.

Next step for me will be to add a spiral cutter head.

Have fun--now you can purchase most lumber and be able to handle it in one pass!

Best,
    Greg Stahl

Congrats on the Jointer. Its a beauty.

I have emailed many companies with questions in the past few months. Companies like SCMI, Grizzly, Carter, Westinghouse, Baldor, Leeson, Mini-Max...

The absolute, 100%, most helpfull and prompt service and answers I have received are from Grizzly.
    I got one response which said that they could not answer me until (2 days), the excuse was very reasonable because it was a weird question. 2 days later, I got an email from a different Grizzly employee with a complete accurate answer.

Some of the above mentioned companies never returned my emails. I got automated emails saying they would get back to me in 48 hours.. Nada..

Grizzly is extremely customer driven and the staff are very well trained.

Nice,looks like a beauty.I too am considering a jointer upgrade and the Grizzly is one of my finalists. A couple of logistical questions for you. Do you have a dock high ramp for loading/unloading at your shop or was it tailgate delivery? If tailgate, was that an extra charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Nice,looks like a beauty.I too am considering a jointer upgrade and the Grizzly is one of my finalists. A couple of logistical questions for you. Do you have a dock high ramp for loading/unloading at your shop or was it tailgate delivery? If tailgate, was that an extra charge?
    My shop is in my garage, so no loading dock (hmmm maybe that could be another project ). Lift gate service was a must for me. I'm looking at my invoice and the lift gate charge isn't obvious. I remember it was about $34 and worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I filed my fence as you describe and stuck on some UHMW tape. This has worked out well.
    I'll have to try the UHMW tape option. I didn't know they made a UHMW tape. I see they carry some at woodcraft. I'll have to swing by and pick some up. Thanks for the tip.

Nice review, Paul. Enjoy your new jointer!

The only thing I see that would drive me nuts is the big "pork chop" guard. I wish the US market would move to a bridge guard like supplied with Euro jointers and combos...much easier to manage and less exposure to the knives as you push the workpiece through.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i have the same jointer installed a Byrd head in it before running it i would recommend you check all of the bolts for tightness as most of mine were loose and the bolts holding the cutter head on were hand tight that wasn't a bad thing since i was removing it having jointed a 12x5 beam the other day i noticed my fence was not square put a square on at and found it bowed top to bottom not sure how i am going to adjust it other then that love it wish i had a 16" now plenty of power