Thread: PSI four jaw chuck

PSI four jaw chuck

Against popular opinion, I went with the cheaper chuck, (money is always an issue with us). Does anyone else have this chuck? I am experiancing some out of round (wobble) problems. Is this chuck adjustable of fixable? There is a set screw inside one of the jaws, what does this screw do? Is there any way to get the wobble out?
    Any help is apreciated, TIA
    Doug

Chuck Wobble

I don't know this chuck - or any other woodworking chuck- at all, but I do have a little sabe on metal working lathes. My first take is this: on any chuck I know the chuck takes its position from the back of the chuck being flush against the flange of the arbor. Do you have a dial indicator? If not you can use a piece of chalk, if your hand is steady. Check the flange w/o the chuck on. Is it true? If so, put on the chuck; is the back of the chuck true? If it is, and the gripping portion is not, the problem would seem to be in the manufacture of the chuck. It should be returned to the manufacturer for exchange. This is pretty simplistic, but maybe it will get enough conversation started to help you with your problem.

The only other caution I have is to make sure there is no aberration on the spindle - like a glob of glue or something throwing it out.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Yea, I had one. It was functional and the one I had was round. But the Tommy Bars were a pain since I wasn't blessed with a third hand...I guess my mother and father didn't have enough radiation exposure when I was just a gleam in their eyes! Seriously, call them up and have them replace it since it should run true no matter what the cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...