Thread: Inlay?

Inlay?

I've got a wood supplier that wants a turkey call with crushed clam shells for an inlay. "Oh yeah! I can do that!" Ummm, never done inlay, so how do I go about it? Crush the shells, mix with epoxy(?) then spread in inlet? Or put glue in the slot and slowly add shell, glue, shell, etc....?

Bonnie, I've only used Inlace, which is easy to use, but a bit pricey to buy, and then a few times brass powder, with epoxy. In both cases, I did the mixture first, then slopped it into the slot or deficit area I wanted to inlay, then turned off excess once dry. Hope that's a little helpful, but I've never used actual shell. Just seems like it'd be easier to mix first or that's how I've always done the above. Best to you on your project! Jude

Judy, it can probably be done both ways, but I'll pass on one suggestion... If possible, "undercut" the slot or groove where you are inserting your material. This way, if there is any wood movement, your material remains locked in place.

Malcom suggestion is spot on. Just be diligent and remember to compress the inlay to get it to fill in the voids completely. I just had to fix a piece with some colored epoxy after not having done a good job pressing it in. At least I don't think the wood moved. I think it was the operator.

As for your material, you probably want to crush some to help fill the gap between larger pieces. I think a mix of size would look good but I haven't inlayed something as small as a game call, either.

A note or two

I live in clam country, on the North Oregon coast, half mile off the beach. We use clam an oyster shell for allot of different things. The thing to remember is that shell is lime and that means a ph consideration. You may get some discoloration challenges, and maybe set issues with the epoxy. I would try a sample first, or ask the manufacturer if the ph is an issue. Shell is very brittle. I have never done inlay so I am not certain that is an issue but it does tend to shatter more than rock. We put the shells in driveways and it will pulverize to dust where the rock does not. Also the shells if they are saltwater shells will be loaded with sea salt residue.

Just some thoughts that I hope will be a help.

Bonnie

I do a bit of inlay with both stone and shell once in a while. First I turn my item to the finished size I want, thenI wax the area I am going to put the inlay in to keep whatever glue I use from sticking to the turning. Then as Marchom said I use the smallest parting tool I have to cut a place to put the inlay in. If you use stone the cut has to be deep enough so that your tools will not contact the stone and send you to the grinder when you clean up the glue you use. If you use the shell you can put it into the cut out and then either use CA or epoxy to hole it in place. Next you can cut the extra glue and shell eith a gouge and then use whatever finish you want. Good Luck and let us see the finished product...

Bonnie I use BONDO!

Bonnie, Ive used many various epoxy formulas over the years. Recently bought some Inlace. One application convinced me that it is bondo, (car body filler) I don't know if bondo is cheaper than inlace, but I am sure it comes in a larger container 1/2 pint or more. I know for sure the two act the same way. both setup clear and transparant. I might suggest the inlace color kit. I got mine from Brownwlls.com. Search for acraglas and scroll down. If you go there check out the black, white, brown, etc too. I use brownells acraglas epoxy and even though it sets up yellowish it has much better shelf life, and the coloring kits take care of the problem. Good luck!
    Bob