Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In progress project

Schoolhouse clock - completed

I managed to get this one done nights and weekends in only three weekends. Just started it two Sundays ago. Discovered a lot of things along the way (don't we always?), such as how the quartz clock mechanism, which has a day of the month hand, works, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the pendulum to work.

At any rate, I was introduced to a wonderful product I'd never used before - Wundercote from Rockler. I'd read about it, and I had a $10 Rockler rewards certificate so the Wundercote was only $3.99. Of course, Rockler had a blowout on a bunch of stains, glazes and other products for .99! Can't beat that. Wundercote literally dried so fast I was recoating in 20 minutes! Flowed easily, shined up beautifully (at another's suggestion, I sanded with 600 grit between coats, which shined it up nicely every coat. The color came from General Finishes Honey Oak DO. One coat, sanded with 220 grit then wiped off.

Then when the clock was done, I used Johnson's Wax to preserve and protect. I like the smell and the slightly tacky waxy feel that waxing gives. And for the elders of the group - remember "Fibber McGee & Molly"?
    Last edited by Patrick Nailon; 09-22-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to add pictures

Here are the pictures I forgot to add last message.

I was waiting for you to post the conclusion.

Nice work on the details. The miters appear nice and tight. Well done.

By the way, I learned the $40 way to never set the time of the quartz movement by moving the clock's hands. I damaged a movement by doing just this. The instructions that came with the replacement movement gives ample warning to set the time only using the little wheel on the back of the movement.

-Jeff

Patrick, that's a beautiful clock. I appreciate all the information and pictures and especially the tip on Wundercote from Rockler. I'll have to give it a try.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post

By the way, I learned the $40 way to never set the time of the quartz movement by moving the clock's hands. I damaged a movement by doing just this. The instructions that came with the replacement movement gives ample warning to set the time only using the little wheel on the back of the movement.

-Jeff
    Oh yes! I read on Klockit's website to first screw on the minute hand, then use the wheel to set it to 12. Then remove the minute hand, install the hour hand dead on an hour and re-install the minute hand. This also has a day hand, that I have to tweak (albeit gently) a bit to make sure it's working right.

The only problem with the clock is that the pendulum (which is just for show) rubs against the inside of the case as the movement wasn't meant for a case with such an offset between the pendulum and the movement.

Turned out very nice