Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formica on MDF for outfeed table?

Formica on MDF for outfeed table?

It seems that you usually see formica over particle board, and that's the route I went for the router extension I'm making for my table saw. I ran out of particle board though but I have a bunch of 3/4" MDF. Is there any reason I can't use this? Thanks folks!

Rough sand the MDF first before applying your glue.
    Its not as porous as PB

Other than that, no problem

I think MDF will work great! I made my TS wings with a built-in router using 3/4" MDF and Formica. My outfeed table is skinned with 1/2" MDF that is sealed with a poly finish. Still looking good after 6 years of use. When I rebuild my outfeed someday, I will use Melamine or formica to make cleanup easier since it is an assembly table as well.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

"...extension I'm making for my table saw...ran out of particle board...have...3/4" MDF...any reason I can't use this?"

One of the few "good uses" for both PL and MDF.... MDF actually makes a great underlayment for PL. It's denser (harder) and flatter than PB, holds screws better etc,

IMMHO.....
    David DeCristoforo

yeah i made my outfeed tables with it too. i just screwed masonite to it without any glue and countersunk the screws. never been a fan of making shop tables out of expensive wood. nice thing about MDF and particle board is when they're beaten beyond any hope of salvage, it only takes 10 mins to make a new one .

I used formica (or whatever they call it now) over MDF on a router table top I built 6 years ago. I expected it to sag as I was looking for an excuse for a high $$ top. Checked it about a year ago and still sitting at no more than .002 in any spot.

And... I have used 3/4" MDF with 3 heavy coats of poly for years on TS side and rear extentions without bothering with the formica. I just made a rear and front extention to rip on for a new saw within the last few days. It works fine alone IMO.

Sarge..

When MDF first came out, we switched almost all our countermaking to MDF laminated with formica. It's an excellent substrate and does not need to be sanded. In fact, it's more porous than particleboard. Therefore, you will have to double apply your contact cement. Personally, I much prefer solvent based contact cement.
    Howie.........

I have made several tables for the shop using MDF and formica. I also used 1-1/8" MDF and formica banded with walnut when I did the cabinets in my reloading room. I have reloading presses mounted on those counter tops and have had no problems.
    Eugene in NC

choice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    It seems that you usually see formica over particle board, and that's the route I went for the router extension I'm making for my table saw. I ran out of particle board though but I have a bunch of 3/4" MDF. Is there any reason I can't use this? Thanks folks!
    If I had my drothers I prefer MDF (lightweight) over particle board for Mica work. As a matter of fact, and this is just a suggestion now that you ran out of PB don't restock it. Ant time Ive ever used it I just felt dirty. I'm not sure why
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

I would use MDF with a coat of shellac and wax for an outfeed table, skip the formica, replace that sucker in 15 years when it wears out, spare your self the work, the cost, the fumes and the trouble. Or you could go with melamine on MDF or chip board, again sparing the labor and expense. Nothing wrong with formica, makes a nice surface, but then again so would a granite slab, so where do you draw the line? Call me lazy, call me cheap, call me a frugal yankee, I won't spend 10 extra dollars or ten extra minutes on that type of shop work. I'll spend days making jigs from phenolic, but not on outfeed tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    ...I have a bunch of 3/4" MDF. Is there any reason I can't use this?...
    That's what I used under Formica for my router table, table saw outfeed table, drill press table, miter saw station, and maybe a few other places that don't come immediately to mind. Standard Formica installation techique - contact cement on both surfaces per directions on the can and stick 'em together. First time was about 5 years ago. No problems so far.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

There's more than one type of Particle board , high density is the substrate stuff 'regular' PB is for under-layment( used under sheet vinyl / AKA Linoleum / kitchen and bathroom common flooring).

As far a using MDF as a substrate, sure it's fine. Sanded or not, double coating is a good idea , especially on any self edge , if your appling one.

BTW "Formica" is a brand name of plastic laminate / high density plastic laminate , there are others Wilson Art , Pionite, Nevermar , all are P. Lam.

and Michael, Formica is available as counter or vertical grade. The vertical grade is less expensive and available in 4 x 8' sheets. I use it on shop surfaces. It is plenty good and is very smooth.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

John -

Not to be a Cliff Claven but,

The generic name would be "High Pressure Laminate"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    John -

Not to be a Cliff Claven but,

The generic name would be "High Pressure Laminate"
    I think I just said that Sammy! Or something similar , ( see post 12) Where Rebeccia? She sure has put on some weight eh