Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Formica on MDF for outfeed table?

Sorry bout dat-

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post

Sorry bout dat-

I stand corrected.
    Oh I didn't say you where wrong , in fact your post was more correct than mine. BUT I think no matter how many times we say "it's P.Lam / high pressure laminate" , it will continue to be called Formica by most people.

Sorta like the sill vs. stool definition on another thread.

Yes, stool, is more than likely the right term for the part of a window "sill" that's inside the building BUT I think most people would look for a "stool" in the toilet , or hopefully in the toilet

Sill / stool , P.Lam / Formice, Soda / Coke. The list goes on.

Paul -
    I follow your thinking. There could be a whole thread on calling things by the incorrect name.

The one that bothers me the most is when people in the trades call all "Laminated Veneer Lumber" - "Micro Lams".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Oh I didn't say you where wrong , in fact your post was more correct than mine.

Sorta like the sill vs. stool definition on another thread.

Yes, stool, is more than likely the right term for the part of a window "sill" that's inside the building BUT I think most people would look for a "stool" in the toilet , or hopefully in the toilet

Sill / stool , P.Lam / Formice, Soda / Coke. The list goes on.
    Nit picker here. In that other thread I did say the gentleman was wrong, and he was. If you make a 'sill' from interior material, it will fail. Windows have a language that is specific, this is not a matter of semantics. I have had carpenters with some experience send me drawings of custom 'sills' that were in fact stools. Nothing wrong IMO with learning and using the terms.

Formica might be a brand of high pressure laminate, but a stool is not a type of sill. They are in fact two unique parts of a window system.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 09-14-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: bad typing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post

Nit picker here. In that other thread I did say the gentleman was wrong, and he was. If you make a 'sill' from interior material, it will fail. Windows have a language that is specific, this is not a matter of semantics. I have had carpenters with some experience send me drawings of custom 'sills' that were in fact stools. Nothing wrong IMO with learning and using the terms.

Formica might be a brand of high pressure laminate, but a stool is not a type of sill. They are in fact two unique parts of a window system.
    Your right , of course . But sometimes a guy has to go with the flow , educating clients about construction terms , even common ones like sill and stool can get , ah, tedious to say the least.

One my boss is "hot on" is the difference between a 'deck' and a 'porch', would you want to take a guess at the "difference" between the two? I'd like to hear your take , to see if it matches his.

A Porch has a roof.

A Deck doesn't.

Would be my guess.

A Porch has a roof.

A Deck doesn't.

Would be my guess.

Nope.

Interesting you have to use at least 10 characters to post. So much for short, sweet answers

I believe I had it right for the most part.

I googled Porch vs. Deck.
    This is what they had.

Porch
    · A porch is a permanent structure covered with a roof, and is permanently affixed to the principal structure.
    · A porch may be erected in the front, side or rear yards.
    · A porch is considered part of the principle structure and must meet all setback requirements stipulated in the zoning code.
    · A porch is a one story structure.
    ii. Deck
    · A deck is an elevated open structure/platform.
    · A deck may be erected in the side or rear yard.
    · A deck must meet all setback requirements

I believe I had it right for the most part.

I googled Porch vs. Deck.
    This is what they had.

Porch
    · A porch is a permanent structure covered with a roof, and is permanently affixed to the principal structure.
    · A porch may be erected in the front, side or rear yards.
    · A porch is considered part of the principle structure and must meet all setback requirements stipulated in the zoning code.
    · A porch is a one story structure.
    ii. Deck
    · A deck is an elevated open structure/platform.
    · A deck may be erected in the side or rear yard.
    · A deck must meet all setback requirements

Ah, No. Still missing a key element.

I can drink a beer on a porch in the rain without getting wet, and on a deck I can't?

Paul -
    Ya got me thinkin.
    So I pulled out the code book (IRC 2000) I haven't got the "06" yet.

There is no definition for Porch, which I thought was pecurliar.

There is a definition for Deck, but nothing substantial, just a couple of lines.

So - What ya got????

Paul -
    Ya got me thinkin.
    So I pulled out the code book (IRC 2000) I haven't got the "06" yet.

There is no definition for Porch, which I thought was pecurliar.

There is a definition for Deck, but nothing substantial, just a couple of lines.

So - What ya got????
    Porch boards run 90 deg. from the house/ building.
    To simple eh.

Deck boards run parallel.

Back east porches where common and D. Fir Or SYP T&G boards where run 90 deg. from the building , joist parallel to building.

Here's another word , "Feel " people commonly say they "feel umpty squat" no they don't, they "think" it. You "feel" pain / hot / cold , etc.

If it's your opinion is that "I should do umpty squat" you don't "feel " it you ( the word "you" used generically) think it!

Talk about thread drift but , IMO ( I feel ) the OP has been answered adequately. Possibly beaten to death in fact!

hmm nah

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Porch boards run 90 deg. from the house/ building.
    To simple eh.

Deck boards run parallel.

Back east porches where common and D. Fir Or SYP T&G boards where run 90 deg. from the building , joist parallel to building.

Here's another word , "Feel " people commonly say they "feel umpty squat" no they don't, they "think" it. You "feel" pain / hot / cold , etc.

If it's your opinion is that "I should do umpty squat" you don't "feel " it you ( the word "you" used generically) think it!

Talk about thread drift but , IMO ( I feel ) the OP has been answered adequately. Possibly beaten to death in fact!
    Hmm nahh. Almost all of the porches I build have boards running paralell with the structure. It doesn't mean there decks. Heres one I did a few years ago. Expain to me how this is a deck. You may call the one off the bedroom a balcony, but the wrap around a deck? nah
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

That brings up one final question.

If you install the decking diagonally, are you building a "Derch"?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    MDF is far superior to Particle Board in just about every respect. Smoother, easier on your tools, lays flatter, dont swell as easily when wet, machines better and of course, I would rather get dust in my eyes than sharp chips. Its gonna happen time to time no mater how much protection you wear. It will be in your hair, eyebrows, skin and clothes.

Tony B