Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formica on MDF for outfeed table?

Quote Originally Posted by William OConnell View Post

, but the wrap around a deck? nah
    Yes, a cover wrap around deck thats what I see. No porch in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post

That brings up one final question.

If you install the decking diagonally, are you building a "Derch"?
    It would then fall to joist direction as your muddying the definition with detractors

Which begs to question how do you feel about that?

John -

Not to be a Cliff Claven but,

The generic name would be "High Pressure Laminate"

You are absolutely right, but I dont know if there are the different grades available in the others...can only state re. Formica.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas View Post

You are absolutely right, but I dont know if there are the different grades available in the others...

can only state re. Formica.
    All the manf. make VG lam. it comes in 49 x97 inch sheets , not all colors of standard lam are readily available in VG. As it suggests it is designed for vertical use , it is thinner , by roughly 1/2 the thickness of standard lam.

That being said IF your willing to pay just about any variation can be had for enough $$.

We did a trade show booth for OR ( Outdoor Research) a backpacking camping equipment company . It was about 40 feet long and 8 feet in height , mostly 4x8 -ish panels that cam-locked together for set-up and tear down reasons as it, the booth , went "on the road" to trade show. All stowed into big crates made to hold the panels and other trade off stuff that went to the shows.

The P.Lam was laid up off a panoramic photo of Mt. Baker here in Washington state , so each panel was a part of the photo. Each panel of the walls and two rooms that formed the ends of the booth had to be laid up on the right panel , all the panels where numbered and had to of course be assembled in the right order to put the "picture " back together.

IIRC Wilson Art laid the P.Lam up for OR.

There more than you ever knew about P.lam , and more than most folks really need to know.

Hey Paul, I here you about the delicacy of correcting customers. Some really don't like it. The carpenter I corrected basically told me "I'm busy, don't brake my stones, just make my millwork!" I worked as a chef in high end restaurants for years. A famous restaurateur from the 1950's coined that phrase "The customer is always right". He was a moron. I worked for another famous NYC restaurateur who was less famously quoted for saying "The customer is NOT always right, in fact often far from it. But in my house they always get what they want!"

With the carpenter in question acting as GC on a recording studio for which I made numerous things, he was stretched often to the limit of his focus. When the 'STOOLS' were being fabricated (I agreed to call them sills in conversations with him) I knew the studio had been declared a CLEAN zone, acoustic ceiling and electronics had been installed so field installations could not produce dust in the space, which put the gentleman going down 5 floors in an old elevator to the parking lot to make any cuts.

Before fabricating the STOOLS, I asked if he wanted me to cut the ears. "Can you do that?" he asked. Sure, the customer always gets what he wants. Great. Then I asked, "Do you know the bevel angle and would you like me to make the bird's mouth cuts on the bottom to meet the ...." "The what?" He asked.

"You know" I said "That thingie on the bottom of the window that pitches to the out side?" "The sill" he asked? I said , "Sure, but how can both things be called the sill?" "Oh, I just need the INTERIOR SILLS". he said. Some people would rather make up words they like than try to use new ones that make them uncomfortable. Go figure.

Which leads me to your old boss. I may correct a client now and then in my side work, but I'm never stupid enough to correct my boss. But I will correct your who couldn't be more wrong. His definition is so wrong as to be irrelevant.

Porch is American vernacular for an extended PORTICO, or a covered entrance. The term porch seems to have come into use in the mid 1800's and stems from the latin word porticus. What defines a PORCH is what is over it (a roof), not what is under it. Being from the East, and living in a neighborhood build circa 1870, I can tell you that porch floors run every which direction to suit the design, the framing, or the structure. But if it protects a door and has a roof, and is larger than a portico, it is in fact a porch regardless of the flooring system.

Ya your right IMO a deck is a deck if it's uncovered, it's a landing if it's small less the 4 x4 , and IF it's covered it's a porch.

But my boss is a retired USN Attack pilot and maybe you don't know this saying , well unless you know some USN people , the saying goes , "You can always tell a Navy pilot , you just CAN'T tell them much!"

He's a from Conn. way back when maybe joined the USN in the late 60's , he flew A-6's in Vietnam.

So he's a Navy pilot AND a stubborn Connecticut Yankee? Nope, don't try to tell him anything. Maybe slip him a copy of a book on the classic architecture of New England and the America's, let him discover it for himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post

So he's a Navy pilot AND a stubborn Connecticut Yankee? Nope, don't try to tell him anything. Maybe slip him a copy of a book on the classic architecture of New England and the America's, let him discover it for himself?
    Hehhehehhe!

Paul -
    I follow your thinking. There could be a whole thread on calling things by the incorrect name.

The one that bothers me the most is when people in the trades call all "Laminated Veneer Lumber" - "Micro Lams".

Anybody who builds houses knows that Micro Lams are....

Little tiny sheep.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    Anybody who builds houses knows that Micro Lams are....

Little tiny sheep.

Per

I like it, I like it alot.
    Can I use that one Per?

Steal away Matt,

We will be here all week, try the veal.
    baddooomp.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence