Thread: "Big Boy" Bed

"Big Boy" Bed

Well, it's finished! My son's first "big boy" bed. Lot of sun today, so I monkeyed with the contrast a bit, hope the pics come through clear.

The bed is solid ash, sized to fit a single mattress and box spring. It is finished with water-borne, "Dark Mission Brown" dye and a few coats of poly. Love those dyes. Easy to work with, great colors. My wife wanted me to match another piece in the room with a dark finish. Why ash then? The price was right.......$.60 bd./ft. Plus, it's strong and stable. The rails are 1" X 7" and should support my rambunctious boy no matter what. I designed it myself and am pretty happy with it. I consider myself a novice woodworker, so there are many flaws, but am pleased with the result. At any rate, where are you going to get a solid-wood bed for +/-$100.00(my materials cost)? I'ts dusty and I have to cut the stretchers to support the mattress, but the woodworking is finished.

Thanks for looking!

Russell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Thumbs up Big boy bed

Russell
    Well, it certainly looks good enough for a "king" or really great big boy!
    May he use it with the best of health and happiness.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

The bed looks great, Russell! Your son will no doubt get many, many years out of it; clear through college and beyond, no doubt.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks VERY nice. I hope when I do my bedroom furniture it turns out half as good. However, one question. wouldn't be easier sleeping if there was a mattress?

Nice and sturdy for a growing boy. I can guarantee he will try to see how high he can bounce.

Terry

Thumbs up

Great Looking bed, Nice Job

Jim