Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scam

"To do such a transfer requires them to have your routing #... once they have that, they can transfer stuff OUT of your account, leaving you with a zero balance."

Uh... no, I don't believe that is so. I think if my bank allowed a wire transfer out of my account without me being involved, they would have serious liability issues. I have used wire transfers many times, and there are many safeguards in place. They are commonly used for large transactions because of this.

"Mark - That is what I always thought. However, I think it was someone here on the creek that warned of wire transfers that were funded by check that could still be reversed. It is my understanding that you need to make sure the transfer was funded by cash."

That is a fault of the check, not the wire transfer. The wire transfer itself is actual cash, not a "promise to pay" like a check. Once it becomes an actual wire transfer, it is real money. This is why many foreign companies require wire transfers... guaranteed payment.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    "To do such a transfer requires them to have your routing #... once they have that, they can transfer stuff OUT of your account, leaving you with a zero balance."

Uh... no, I don't believe that is so. I think if my bank allowed a wire transfer out of my account without me being involved, they would have serious liability issues. I have used wire transfers many times, and there are many safeguards in place. They are commonly used for large transactions because of this.
    They have your name and they have your routing #... that's all that's required to get a hold of everything that account contains. Why do you think the scams that ask for that info are so common? They claim to want the info to put a large sum of money into the account, but once you've passed it on you'll wake up in a day or two with a zero balance. It is considered private information, and it should stay that way.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

3. Queen Street, Melbourne is in the Central Business District

the postcode is 3000

the postcode 3001 is for post boxes at the central post office.

We have a major retailer called Coles... but I doubt if they'd employ someone with such p[oor English to source products from international suppliers.

Regards

Roy N.

Matt Gibb Guest
    G'day Brian,
    The postcode is wrong, it should be 3000. As so graciously put in some of the other replies, we Australians do usually speak better english than that, you know, words like bonza, beaudy, ocker, strewth, crikey, aveagoodweekend and didyabringyagrogalong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    They have your name and they have your routing #... that's all that's required to get a hold of everything that account contains. Why do you think the scams that ask for that info are so common? They claim to want the info to put a large sum of money into the account, but once you've passed it on you'll wake up in a day or two with a zero balance. It is considered private information, and it should stay that way.
    That's not the way it was explained to me by my bank. It's my understanding that a wire transfer is an excellent method of payment for the reasons Mark described. The downside risk is for the buyer, not the seller, as a seller can easily setup a fraudulent account to take wire transfer, get your money and skip town and you'll have no way to find them.

You can search the internet and find numerous articles by major banks explaining how safe it is.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's not the way it was explained to me by my bank. It's my understanding that a wire transfer is an excellent method of payment for the reasons Mark described. The downside risk is for the buyer, not the seller, as a seller can easily setup a fraudulent account to take wire transfer, get your money and skip town and you'll have no way to find them.

You can search the internet and find numerous articles by major banks explaining how safe it is.

This is my understanding of this as well. I called my bank yesterday, and they confirmed what I said. The risk is upon the sender of money, not the receiver. Once it becomes a wire transfer, there is no getting it back. This is why foreign companies and large corporations insist upon wire transfers.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.