Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with ULS-25E

Mike,

I unplugged the keypad, but got the same thing. I had a hard enough time finding a 28v power supply a few months ago for it, are there any of the display and keypads out there still for this unit? I would lean more toward the display board. It wasn't staying in place on one side for a while. When I took it out to exam it for defects this time I adjusted the clip holders to make it tight again. Looks like I may need to find the display board and definately the button pad. Thanks Mike, your always there to help us.

Jim

James,

I think i Have a good used display board let me look and I will get back at you as for the keypads you will have to get them from ULS. They are not cheap so be sure you are sitting down when you call them.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Thanks Mike,

The power supply was quite expensive also. I could only find one original and it was over $800. I went with a power supply company and had them match evreything to the original. The engraver works great, just can't see what job I'm engraving.

Jim

James,

I do have a good working display board if you are interested let me know.
    Mike Mackenzie

I am interested, just let me know what you need.

Thanks
    Jim

I will get back to you on Monday its late here and I have to go out of town for the weekend.
    Mike Mackenzie

I can be reached at 630-217-5233.

Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie View Post
    James,

I do have a good working display board if you are interested let me know.
    I have a old Epilog Profile that has the Win 95 Driver. If anyone has a used XP Driver Board for the Profile I would be interested. I have priced them new for $1K.

I will run this in the Classified when I am more serious about buying.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Mike,
    It's been a while. I did fix the last problem and used it for all this time. I had to replace the 28v power supply. I called a power supply manufacture and gave them the specs of the original. He was able to match the power supply exactly to the original. I had to make a new mount, but all has been good since.

I do have another problem with the other power supply, 105-0003-1. The stages that operates my "Y" axis motor went dead. I contacted ULS and ask for the schematics and was basically told to take a hike. Is there any other place I can get the schematics to trouble shoot this power supply. I hate to spend $500 to send it in and find out its parts costing less than $20 that I could have fixed. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Are you talking about the Gold box supply? If so I may be able to help I can not promise anything.
    Mike Mackenzie

Yes its the gold box supply. I used the field tech manuals to figure out its the stage in the power supply and not my "Y" axis motor.

Gold Box

James,

Typically when the axis goes bad it is related to the driver chips or the diodes.

The first thing to check is if you swap the X and the Y plugs does the problem transfer. Next look at the led light next to the Y axis plug if it is out chances are you have a short.

You can Ohm out between the pins on the connector to see if there is a short.

You can then Ohm out the diodes to see if any of them have a short.

I have attached a PDF for you to see where things are.

You can get the replacement drivers and diodes from newark.com

Diodes 15M1926
    Drivers 89K0753

If it is not any of these components then you would be better off to send it in and hope it is repairable. Be sure to check the cooling fan when these boxes go bad it is usually due to the fan not working correctly and them over heating.

You can get the replacement fan from newark as well.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mike Mackenzie

I measured the output at the "Y" axis plug as compared to the "X" and there is no voltage at the "Y". Turned off the power and checked for short and got nothing (not the driver). Opened the case and started checking for shorts across the diodes and found one in about 45 seconds. Only one appears to be shorted by its not allowing the driver chip to turn on. I'll order a few of these diodes and replace the one that appears shorted. See what I get from there. Worst case, I have to spend the $500 to send it to ULS, hopefully not.

Thanks again
    Jim

Mike,

Thanks again as usual for the suggestions and help. It turned out to be one diode that was easy to order from the website you provided. I got it today and installed it. Put everything back together and back in business.

Thanks
    Jim