Thread: concave base how to do it

Question concave base how to do it

I am planning to built floor lamp. It will be my first bend lamination for it. But my questions is a base. Please look at the picture. I did try to do it with Sketchup, but can not do a concave edges yet (still on the beginning of learning curve). Base is squared 14", edges are concave. I want to do from solid wood, but can not make a plan how to do this.
    Do you have ideas, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd make it hollow. I'd start with 8/4 lumber. I'd make a pyramid, with each face formed by one piece of 8/4. There would be beveled joints between the four faces. Then I'd pull out my power-carver: an Arbortech blade on a 4" right-angle grinder. I'd use it freehand to shape those curved faces. Then I'd put sanding discs on the grinder to clean up the Arbortech marks, and eventually work down to a random-orbit sander.

I would approach this a bit differently. I would make the base pieces to fit, angles and sides etc. At this point, you should have four flat slopes on the base, (the base needs to be a bit higher than designed to allow for the curve), then I would put a series of kerfs across the back side of each piece, parallel to the floor. This would allow the pieces to take the curve. Now you need to use a block plane on the side bevels to fit the pieces together.
    Hopefully, that was clear.
    Basically, make the triangular panels bendy in the one plane, and fit them up.
    You could also use "bendy ply" which bends nicely, but then you need to veneer it to match the column.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!