Thread: Exterior door painting Q.

Question Exterior door painting Q.

I bought a new storm door for my front door and want to paint the wood security(?) door and frame before I install it. I think what's on it is an oil based paint. I scuff sanded it w/220grit to get the shine off of it. (Heard that it makes paint stick better ) Do I need to use oil base paint again or can I use Latex? What would be the best to use?

Now that the sun came out and the land warmed up, it's Honey-Do season again!

Thanks,

Joe

What you really need is a bonding primer first, then a high-quality exterior acrylic, Joe. Talk to a paint store rep. (I prefer ICI/Dulux/Glidden or Sherwin-Williams for exterior products).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Another point of view....

Just to be fair and balanced, Joe, I prefer Benjamin Moore products. You'll probably have to pay more, though.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I've had good luck with Zinnser exterior oil based primer. It's good for ANY combination of under and overcoats, so no worries about sticking with and oil/latex combo.

I would definately go with an oil based paint for the door.

My basic rule is water based inside, oil based outside. About every 5 to 7 years, I break the "oil based outside" rule and every time I have regretted breaking that rule.