Thread: Ran out of USL

Ran out of USL

I ran out of clear Target USL waterborne lacquer. Does anyone know if I can top coat USL with solvent lacquer?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I ran out of clear Target USL waterborne lacquer. Does anyone know if I can top coat USL with solvent lacquer?
    Leigh, I wouldn't do that. The solvent lacquer will lift/raise the USL. Just wait and get some more USL, as it has great 'burn-in' properties. So you can let it set for a day or so, scuff it lightly, and recoat. I know it is a pain, especially when you want to finish a project on the weekend, but it is better to wait. Regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Nope....not a good idea. USL isn't "lacquer". It's an acrylic with properties that emulate some of the desirable properties of solvent based lacquer. Totally different animal. The solvents may very well do "nasty" things to the finish you have already applied.

If you're stuck and really need to finish your work this weekend, you could top coat with Minwax Polycrylic after some scuffing with 320. It's not as nice a finish, but will get you there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. I'm not going to screw this finish up now, I'll wait.