Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EngraveSoft

EngraveSoft

Is anyone familiar with this software? Bought or used it?
    Looks like it's aimed more towards graphic artists & illustrators. Spendy too!

Neal
    Lasertech Alaska
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-22-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Also add in the cost of the Cintiq tablet they're using!!!
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Looks pretty neat but that $1000.00 price tag is a bummer! I reckon everything to be relative though..if you spent $1k on this, could you expect to enhance your product offering?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    Painter (formerly known as Fractal Design Painter, and most recently owned by Corel) would do this for 1/3rd the price, as well as give you thousands of options more. Since The program has fallen by the wayside, I think you can even get a free copy of a version from a few years ago (should still run on XP).

I just checked and Corel is still selling this under the name Painter X for $419 (possibly cheaper on the net).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I see you can qualify for the Painter X upgade ($219) if you own CD X3 or X4 and there's a free trial too!

Neal
    Lasertech Alaska

Hummm..I own Painter...think I'll take a look at that. I've been using it for working on color photos to make them into "paintings". It works good but has a pretty steep learning curve.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    I picked up a copy when it was first introduced as Fractal Design Painter and was still owned by the original Fractal Design Studios... purchased it at its introduction at SIGGRAPH (in '94?). LOVED it, but haven't had much opportunity to play with it for quite some time. I have often considered picking up a pressure tablet and getting the latest version, but too many other things to play with.

Here you go Frank....

BTW.....does anyone use Painter? I have it, but don't know how to use it. I know that it will "paint" or sketch a photo right before your eyes.....but can it be engraved?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Yes it can be engraved but it is horrendously priced I think. I just wanted to read it again. Thanks for your trouble.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Steve:
    Output is a bitmap in Corel- RIF extension. It imports into Corel Draw and is like any other bitmap as far as engraving goes.

Am I missing something ? Looks like the price for the program is only 99 dollars.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Steve:
    Output is a bitmap in Corel- RIF extension. It imports into Corel Draw and is like any other bitmap as far as engraving goes.

Thanks Larry
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I see 99 as well.

I think the key feature of the software is being able to control the direction of the strokes. Photoshop and a good tablet could do very similar using brush angle, weight, and fade. It would be very time consuming though.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

I used Painter when it was initially announced at SIGGRAPH (graphics conference) in the early 90's(?) and still owned by Fractal Design. I was so stunned by its natural media capabilities I purchased a copy on the spot. Unfortunately I haven't touched it in years, though I have been tempted to use my original serial # and try to update it through Corel (it may be too old at this point to qualify).

As far as the laser is concerned, the final image is going to be no different than any other bitmap created in your favorite brand of raster graphics package. Where Painter comes into play is how that image is created. Painter allows you to edit/create your image in such a way as to mimic natural media, particularly when used with a pressure-sensitive tablet. For example, if you lay down a stroke using the charcoal tool, it looks just as if you took a charcoal stick to a piece of art paper, with the line thickening/darkening as you press harder on the tablet, and the edges fading into dots (larger, then smaller as you move away from the center of the line). And just as with real charcoal, you can brush over it with your watercolor brush and it will look as if you really added water to the charcoal by diffusing it and spreading it out on the page.

One warning... if you don't have any natural talent, the package will not magically give it to you any more than other software packages will. Yes, it has "wizards", plug-ins, and one-click effects which can do some amazing things, but in the end you still have to be capable of putting all of the elements together in a cohesive package. If you're quite capable of using PhotoShop to create amazing photos, you'll have similar luck using Painter after a bit of practice.

Considering what substrates most of our lasering goes onto and the fact that it's a B/W or grayscale process, I see Painter as having limited use. The pen & ink, charcoal, and other grayscale drawing styles would be notable exceptions.

EDIT: I suppose if I had reread the older posts in this thread before responding again I would have noticed my earlier posts covered the history of Painter
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 02-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.

--------------->>>>>>>> Absolutely NO talent here!!!!!!!!

I figured since I have the Wacom tablet and the Painter software, that I could magically make some photos into pencil drawings with a click of a button.............

Thanks for saving me a few hours of trying!!!!!!