Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EngraveSoft

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    --------------->>>>>>>> Absolutely NO talent here!!!!!!!!

I figured since I have the Wacom tablet and the Painter software, that I could magically make some photos into pencil drawings with a click of a button.............

Thanks for saving me a few hours of trying!!!!!!
    Steve, just send me that Wacom tablet and it won't bother you anymore... I just went to a Circuit City closeout and they had one, but it was broken... bummer. Oh well, I don't seem to have any trouble drawing with a mouse, though.

Really, you CAN just click a button for those effects in Photoshop artistic filters. Painter is a great program if you put in the time to learn it... but that does not teach you drawing skills. For that, I'm afraid you'll have to go back to ancient technology, the pencil and paper.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    --------------->>>>>>>> Absolutely NO talent here!!!!!!!!

I figured since I have the Wacom tablet and the Painter software, that I could magically make some photos into pencil drawings with a click of a button.............

Thanks for saving me a few hours of trying!!!!!!
    Actually, if you want one-click changes, I think you'll be reasonably successful with Painter. I believe they called it cloning back in the day (though now I believe PhotoShop uses that term for selecting a similar color palette). Import your image, click the Pencil Clone button, set the parameters (line width, bluriness, etc.), and click OK.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The thing about filters and other one-click solutions is the lack of directional brush strokes. Sure, you can set an angle but the angles do not flow and change direction with the subject matter.

Cloning is replicating from one area to another. You pick the origin and then the target and basically duplicate from one to the other. The tool is called the "magic wand". (Whoops, its the "stamp tool" as Dee noted)
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 02-22-2009 at 1:41 PM. Reason: not thinking
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Doug, as far as I know, the "magic wand" is a selection tool for selecting similar pixels or contiguous pixels, The "cloning tool" looks like a stamp in the tool box and it simply replicates a selected area wherever you click and drag the mouse, as you described.

What I don't understand is why Steve wants to make photos into pencil drawings...for the laser? Are you trying for a lithographic appearance?
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 02-22-2009 at 1:31 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Doug, as far as I know, the "magic wand" is a selection tool for selecting similar pixels or contiguous pixels, The "cloning tool" looks like a stamp in the tool box and it simply replicates a selected area wherever you click and drag the mouse, as you described.

What I don't understand is why Steve wants to make photos into pencil drawings...for the laser? Are you trying for a lithographic appearance?
    Dee, you are 100% correct. It is called the "clone stamp tool" and looks like a stamp. I'm used to command keys and sometimes speak before I think.

Cheers
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    For that, I'm afraid you'll have to go back to ancient technology, the pencil and paper.
    Be careful Dee, your gonna show your age

Can you still buy pencils and paper? I thought perhaps that "ancient technology" went by the wayside with the typewriter.
    Also, we might want to refrain from using jargon that some of the kids that might start lurking these forums won't recognize.
    Words to avoid... Pencil, Paper, typewriter, cassette and of course 8-track, WORK, manual labor... I am sure there is an infinite list, but that is a starter.
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Dee, I was just trying to figure out if I could be creative and/or artistic using a computer program (since I'm too analytical to have a creative bone in my body!).

I thought that picture of the dog that Frank posted looked really nice and that it might engrave well.

And no...........you're not getting my Wacom.....even though I just use it as a big mouse.....I LOVE it!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by John W. Love View Post
    Be careful Dee, your gonna show your age

Can you still buy pencils and paper? I thought perhaps that "ancient technology" went by the wayside with the typewriter.
    Also, we might want to refrain from using jargon that some of the kids that might start lurking these forums won't recognize.
    Words to avoid... Pencil, Paper, typewriter, cassette and of course 8-track, WORK, manual labor... I am sure there is an infinite list, but that is a starter.

Hey John,

I'm old enough to not care if people know how old I am... in fact, today is my 58th birthday!

We geezers were talking recently about what didn't exist when we were kids, and the list is amazing. I mean forget computers and cell phones, I remember when 45s and transistor radios were a really cool thing and the first hand held calculators came out when I was in college, around the same time color TV became common. WHAT?

Red Coin Mah Jong

Sometimes the sketch effect turns out well, things like rural scenes portraits, animals etc.

One thing to remember if you use a Photoshop filter the best effects aren't doing the one stop thing with the filter. It needs to be combined with other filters and adjustments to get the best affects!

I turn to a handfull of actions that are freeware online for that, some you have to pay for but there are many nice actions for free.

Some ones I would recommend searching for and trying out are the Black and White coversions for color images, they can make life soooo much simpliar or if you really want to delve into the workings of the actions you can "dissect" them a step at a time and learn more about the interactions.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Created in Corel Painter

Here is a Corel Painter X example that I created. Some people can actually create stunning output with this program. Fay Sirkis for one. Here is a link that gives info about her. She gets BIG BUCKS for what she produces.
    http://apps.corel.com/painterx/us/pFaySirkis.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 02-22-2009 at 7:17 PM. Reason: sp
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Well Dee I wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Hope you had an opportunity to go and do something you enjoyed. I prefer to think of us as a good bottle of wine - only getting better with age. Best wishes.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

Quote Originally Posted by dee gallo View Post
    today is my 58th birthday!

Happy Birthday Dee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....oh, had I known it was your birthday, I would have gotten you that Wacom.......
    Last edited by Steve Clarkson; 02-22-2009 at 8:30 PM.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Thanks, Rudy and Thanks, Steve! I figure I'm only halfway there, so we've got plenty of time to get into more trouble!

Steve - Maybe I should have said TOMORROW is my birthday....

Red Coin Mah Jong

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEE!!!!!
    I would have made you something, but... I am still learning from you.

And I am not far behind you. I may grow older, but I absolutely refuse to grow up!
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Thanks, John! I like your attitude!

I only have the one dog now (as you see in the avatar) but he runs the joint too. Funny how they do that.

We all learn from each other here, that's the beauty of this forum. I have scribbled notes all over my 2 manuals from the posts I read here. It's so great that someone else will always know something that you don't and vice-versa.

The Creek Rules!

Red Coin Mah Jong