Thread: Little/Mini Planes Que.

Little/Mini Planes Que.

It seems like I work on small stuff a lot (pic frames, etc..) On DIY, I saw a show with a guy making mandolins, a luthier. He had a little finger plane that was really knocking off shavings pretty fast. My smallest plane is a 60 1/2. I've thought about this for a few years and was wondering why there were no little planes until I saw the luthier in action. How/where can I find out more? Thanks.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan,
    Those are often called either finger planes, thumb planes, or in the case of Lee-Valley L-V Planes , just instrument maker's planes. I don't have any since I've never had the need (what a twisted thought that is, eh?), so I can't help much with use.

BTW, I have really enjoyed the DIY series on instrument making. Very interesting.

Tom

Tom, I don't that is twisted at all. That's where we all are most of the time so you are in good company.

After my post, I see that Lie-Nielsen has a smaller block plane but I'm wondering if I want something even smaller. I did find a flat finger plane for $35--not a bad price for a new little plane. The pic looks good anyway. I wasn't aware that LV had those planes so will head there to see more. Thanks.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan, I have a little 3" Stanley that I use for easing edges and on small projects. It works very nice for this.

DK

Stan,
    Now if you're just looking for a smallish block plane instead of a micro/luthier plane, then the L-N 102 is excellent! I have the LA version and it is one of my favorite and probably most used planes.

Tom

Hi Tom

I found this website for Stewart-McDonald. they sell tools and supplies to make stringed musical instruments. I ordered this little flat blade bronze plane. I want to see if it will fit my needs since I really do need something small. I think that I will like the feel of control better than what I'm getting with my 60 1/2.

Stan
    Project Salvager

7. Stan,

There are some more luthier's planes here:

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/luthier.html

Charley

I found the Stewart-MacDonald site for small planes and thought I would pass it along. The URL is below.

Randy

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...on=HOME&LOC=NB

Wow, Charley! I had no idea that there were so many specialized planes for violin making. Good thing that I had already ordered one from Stewart-MacDonald or I would have spend more $$ for sure. I'll give the little puppy a try. If it doesn't work out, looks like I'll be heading for St.James Bay.I have this little tiny scraper plane, made in England. I was trying to use it yesterday, but the blade was a little dull. It's a little harder to try and sharpen the little blades. Not too sure about the quality of the metal either.

When I see the name, Hock, I sit up and pay attention. I've replaced most of my plane blades with Hock blades which are of much higher quality.

Stan
    Project Salvager