Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is kiln dried lumber too expensive?

Is kiln dried lumber too expensive?

Have been pricing kiln dried lumber as of late and can’t believe the prices it commands. I guess energy cost to run a kiln is the issue. I know KD is better than air dried but that should not keep us woodworkers from looking at air dried as a source of material. Would be nice to see hardwood dealers offer air dried next to kiln dried. With KD Cherry running $8+ ft. A large project like a bedroom set would be difficult for a hobbyist woodworking to afford.
    So what do you think? Is it time for woodworkers to give a hard look at air dried lumber?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well, its sort of like wine. A case of wine at release is often much cheaper than one which has been aged and is ready to drink. I suppose you might save money buying air dried if you have access to it, but is it 'dry' or do you need to dry it further? Beyond the cost of operating a kiln there is a cost to cutting logs, storing the material and seasoning until ready to use. I have seen Air Dried fully seasoned lumber that cost more than KD from some vendors because they have to store it so long to get it dry.

If you have access to air dried lumber ready to use cheaper than KD, then by all means buy it. Some of the best wood I have ever used has been air dried. Its often more stable, less tense and more vibrant in color. But if the air dried wood is still somewhat green, then you need to decide if you want to work this wood now or are willing and able to store it and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Have been pricing kiln dried lumber as of late and can’t believe the prices it commands. I guess energy cost to run a kiln is the issue. I know KD is better than air dried but that should not keep us woodworkers from looking at air dried as a source of material. Would be nice to see hardwood dealers offer air dried next to kiln dried. With KD Cherry running $8+ ft. A large project like a bedroom set would be difficult for a hobbyist woodworking to afford.
    So what do you think? Is it time for woodworkers to give a hard look at air dried lumber?
    Dave,

Mike Morgan (see Mfg's Forums) can ship you KD cherry for much less than $8.00/bf. I've been happy with the wood that I've purchased from Mike. Best. Dave.

Air dried wood is nice in some circumstances, but there are good reasons for using kiln dried wood. Kiln drying has killed the insect population if there is any. It is also likely to "set" sap pockets making them less likely to bleed under finishes. (Still use shellac on pine or cherry if their is any question.) Some of the worst criticisms of kiln dried lumber are really criticisms of certain drying practices like steaming walnut (ans cherry) to lessen the color contrast between sap and heart woods. The steaming turns in into boring greyed brown. Walnut can be kiln dried without the excess steam used for color change. (There is quite often steam used in any kiln drying process to help control "case hardening". that's not what does in the coloration to any great degree.)

I think you are shopping in the wrong place. In town it is $6; an hours drive gets it down to $4.75. Cincinnati; shouldn't be that much higher than Rochester.

Kiln-drying is used in commercial lumber production because it is less expensive than air-drying.

A business has a choice. It can invest in a kiln and pay for energy, or it can air-dry. Air-drying takes time and space. Time and space are not free. Businesses do the math, and decide that kilns are a less expensive way to make dry lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Kiln-drying is used in commercial lumber production because it is less expensive than air-drying.

A business has a choice. It can invest in a kiln and pay for energy, or it can air-dry. Air-drying takes time and space. Time and space are not free. Businesses do the math, and decide that kilns are a less expensive way to make dry lumber.
    Guess it depends in the area but around here air dry is WAY cheaper than KD.

You can drive a couple of hours from Cincinnati and get a better price but around the loop the price is higher. When gas was cheap the drive to get a few boards was not a factor. But now it is.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Kiln drying lumber causes living organisms to be killed. Things like mold and fungus that deteriorate the lumber.
    In Air dried wood, these critters go dormant and will not come back without moisture.
    With Kiln dried wood, new critters need to be introduced, with moisture.

Dave, I know it is quite a drive (probably 275 mi round trip) but Morehead KY, White Lbr, will sell you #1 cherry considerably cheaper than $8 - probably less than half. Depending on your needs, the #1 should suffice. Just a thought.

I know KD is better than air dried...
    More like the other way around, in my experience, although I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement one way or the other.

I agree with Peter Quinn's comment: "Some of the best wood I have ever used has been air dried. Its often more stable, less tense and more vibrant in color." Also his analogy to properly cellared and aged wine -- of course it involves a commitment in time and space, but the results are worth it.

Look up Wilhelm Lumber. They are on St. Peter Rd in SE Indiana..about an hours drive from downtown Cincy. Great folks, or they were 20 yrs. ago

Guess it depends in the area but around here air dry is WAY cheaper than KD.

You can drive a couple of hours from Cincinnati and get a better price but around the loop the price is higher. When gas was cheap the drive to get a few boards was not a factor. But now it is.

I think you may have misunderstood what Jamie was trying to say.
    I certainly don't want to speak for him, but I believe his point was if you were comparing apples to apples, meaning bulk lumber dried to a useable percentage, kiln dried would be cheaper. Kiln drying can turn wet wood into useable lumber in a very short time (ie fast turnaround). Whereas air drying requires years of storing and attention before it can be used for cabinetry. If your having to keep millions of bd. ft. of lumber stored, stickered and covered for several years or more, that's going to get expensive.
    So most often when you see air dried lumber it's someone who chopped down several trees, milled them up and stickered them in the back yard for several years. The wood likely still needs further drying or acclimating in the shop. But if your buying small quantities anyway and can store them inside your shop for several more years you could build up a very respectable collection of well dried hardwoods.
    JeffD

Price of Cherry

$8 per board foot is awfully high, I just bought some at Hardwoods, Inc in Frederick, MD last weekend for $4.70 a foot. It had good figure and they had a good selection. There was also a guy on the Baltimore Craigslist selling highly figured cherry for $6.50.

I know KD is better than air dried
    Not so in such a general sense. I use a lot of air dried material for my work including 100% of the wood off our property. Woodworkers have used air dried material for "a very long time". How you dry is less important than doing it correctly. Properly air dried material is just as stable and sometimes even more beautiful (subjective, of course) for some species, such as black walnut.

Don't be afraid to work with good air dried lumber when it is available to you.

And yes, contact Mike Morgan (in the Manufacturer's Forums here at SMC). His cherry is excellent and the price is also eye-opening. Nowhere CLOSE to $8 a bd ft and it's even kiln dried...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave which stores are you going to here? I have a place in milford (east side of the belt), not sure where youre at, that has an excellent selection of KD wood. There arent many places here I know of that you dont need a commercial license and have to spend 150 or more to buy from except this place in milford. The owners are great too! PM me if you want their info