Thread: Help with switch key for Craftsman RAS

Help with switch key for Craftsman RAS

I need a “switch key” for my early 1960’s Craftsman 10 inch RAS. The switch key is the small “key” that you insert into the plastic switch housing at the top of the arm to turn on the motor. Since I never had a switch key, for years I’ve had the switch housing on mine removed, and I’ve just turned the saw on and off with my finger, but now I’m in the process of restoring the saw to its original paint, etc., and I’ve replaced the switch housing, so I need the key.
    Here’s a photo of the switch housing.
    Sears parts does sell a switch key, but I can’t be sure that it will be the correct one. So my question is, does anyone who has a Craftsman 10 inch RAS, similar to mine (model number 113.29401), also have their switch key? If so, could you post a photo of it, or could you describe it to me (general dimensions, what it’s made of, etc.)? Maybe I could make one out of plastic, metal, etc.
    Thanks,
    Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contact Emerson.

That's who made the saw. Might get lucky and find the part.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have that RAS, and had a keyed on/off switch that was original to the saw. It was a dual push button with a key stop, and it was black like the rest of the saw.

I think if you go to the Sears parts website and get a diagram of the RAS, you will see that the part you have is actually a replacement. the original part had key components that were made of a fiberboard that broke down with use.

When I was looking to replace my switch, I heard from many who just screwed a light switch with a junction box on top of their RAS, due to the low cost of that option and the high cost of the Sears part that basically does the same thing.

I recently ordered a replacement from Sears, mostly just because. It's a newer switch with a plastic key that can be removed. It works quite well, but is not original to the saw. It's the same on/off that is used in many craftsman tools nowadays.

I doubt you can find the original on off swithc, except for ebay, and then you will be taking your chances of getting a bad switch.

You can get the model number off of the side of the stand (assuming yours is on the metal stand). My model number was on the left side.

Good luck withyour rehab.

Thanks for your reply, but you're wrong about my switch not being the original. My switch is the original that came with the saw. I have the original manual and parts list and parts description. The switch housing and switch key is shown in the parts drawing. Based on the drawing, the switch key is just a small (possibly plastic) piece that you push down into the switch housing to turn on the motor. To turn off the motor, you just push down on a black button that's also inside the switch housing.

And yes, I know that the model number is located on the left side of the saw base. That's why I said that the model number is 113.29401.

Louis