Thread: SCMI. How long does it take to order parts?

SCMI. How long does it take to order parts?

I have been trying to get parts from SCMI Canada. I started my quest at around the beginning of the month. On the 4th, I got a return email from someone at SCMI Canada asking what I needed.

So I sent a list.

About 3-4 days later I sent another email asking how it was coming along. They asked for part numbers. So I got the part numbers from the SCMI USA website and forwarded them. Seemed simple enough..

I never heard anything again, so on about the 12th, I emailed SCMI in Ontario asking if they could get me parts?? Nobody got back to me. I was pretty much ignored?

Then I remembered that I had the email address of a sales rep for SCMI, so I got into a conversation with him about it. That was about the 12th? It went on for a few days...

So I emailed the operations manager at SCMI in the USA on about the 14th and got a return email from someone in Canada saying they where getting my parts.

Now its the 18th?

I am actually going to Toronto tomorrow.. maybe I will just go to SCMI Canada and beg for parts?

I feel like giving up, but I need parts..

Is this common? Its like Black and Decker bought them... Did I miss a memo???
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 09-19-2008 at 1:52 AM.

Bear in mind here, I still have not ordered the parts. They are getting back to me with availablility and pricing.. lol..

The parts are in stock in the USA and the pricing is on the SCMI USA website.. So I am really concerned about the actual ordering and waiting process... This could be a long haul..

I just dont know what I would do if I where making a living with this tool ?? I wouldnt be able to afford parts by now...
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 09-19-2008 at 1:53 AM.

Rick, after the first delay, I would have been exercising the phone for this one...email, while a priority for some folks like me, is not a priority for so many folks "out there".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Parts Pronto

Are you using their parts web site: www.partspronto.com after you register, you can download manuals and parts lists, and check price and availability of parts. Strictly SCMI though. Why not just place an order via the web site? Do they not want to ship to Canada?

I have had mixed results in dealing with the US tech support, especially troubleshooting electronics.
    JR

That is the frustration.. lol

I borrowed another members Parts Pronto login.

I find the parts in no time, they are in stock, its all so easy.

I try to register but because I am Canadian, they wont let me buy from Parts Pronto.

The Canadian division isnt interested and the Americans wont sell me.. So the saw just sits..

By SCMI Canada do you mean Euro Tech Services? If not, give them a try as they sell and service SCMI in Canada and have branches in BC (vancouver area I believe), Alberta and MB if I recall correctly.

These european companies setup very restrictive trade agreements and if companies do not abide by them, they will lose the right to sell any of their product. Just like Hafele and Festool. You will not find a US company willing to jeopardize their right to sell festool.

Brad

Euro Tech is who I have been emailiing.

I am in Toronto right now and SCMI has an outlet about 1/2 an hour from here. I will go there on Monday and try to get the stuff.

Even if they dont have the stuff, I will order and pay for it. That should create some level of urgency..

Failing that, I will ask someone in the USA to get them for me.

Best of luck. It is unfortunate that all companies do not have enough staff (or patience) to address emails.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Best of luck. It is unfortunate that all companies do not have enough staff (or patience) to address emails.

Brad
    That is the bizarre part. This particular tool is going to be a hobby tool. I also have door and window plant which has 6 employees and covers about 4000 sf.

The machinery is older, Norfield, Delta etc. If this machine was in the plant, it would have been down for 3 weeks now...

I dont see a bunch of SCM stuff going into that shop in the distant future. If I was in the USA, sure.. not in Canada...