Thread: Sycamore Trees

Sycamore Trees

I have an opportunity to pick some lumber from a Sycamore tree that's being cut down this week. Is it worth hiring a portable sawmill? What is the general opinion on Sycamore?

Blog Entries
    I've never used it, but here is what The AMerican Hardwood Association says about it: Sycamore
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I recently wondered the same when I had to remove a smaller (8") one. While my tree isn't large enough to do anything with, I'll be interested in any responses.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've never used it, but here is what The AMerican Hardwood Association says about it: Sycamore
    Thanks Lee, I've now bookmarked that.

Blog Entries
    If you have it quartersawn, it looks a lot like lacewood.

Quartersawn is how you want it cut, both for the figure and to insure you have stable material. Flat sawn sycamore can be "really bendy"... QS sycamore is really incredible...I used it for the top of the bookcase next to the, um...throne...in our new master bath.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built a couch out of it last year. It has a distinctive grain that you might or might not like.
    It works easily enough, but you had better like the natural color because staining or dying it is just about impossible. I didn't know that and had to use tinted shellac.

Here is a Cherry and 1/4sawn Sycamore box I made a couble months ago. I think that if you have a good sized single striaight trunk tree it is worth it. Quarter sawn is spectactular IMHO. Syacamore gets a bad rap for warping while drying. It commonly grows on creek banks and reaches out over the creek leaning to grab sunlight. These trees have lots of internal stress. One with a straight and plumb trunk that grew in a yard or feild should not have these problems. I have milled my own and bought sycamore. the stuff I milled did fine. It was either 1/4 or rift sawn and was from a straight tree. the stuff I bought has maybe 10% of the boards with warping issues. It was mill run and I have no idea about the tree from which it came.

I agree with what Jim Becker said and add that flat sawmakes good "Pallet" lumber. It is very wet and is pron to sticker stain so restack your boards often. The wood is soft but, quater saw is stable and beatulful
    David Werkheiser