Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer vs. Pro Finishes

Jim, I knew that, and am very careful to use the proper wording for it. In my post above, I said it was a water-based cleanup, not a cleanup of a water-based product, and technically, it is correct to call a water-based cleanup as such.

I know what you mean though, the terms water-based and water-borne are used intechangably - even Flexner calls them water-based.

Which reminds me . . . Flexner also says that ANY finish can be thinned - and he made no exception for water-borne finishes.

On another note, Flexner also goes on a rant against air quality enforcement agencies such as the SCAQMD, which happens to have the strictest VOC rules in the country (wouldn't you know I live in this district). He goes on to say that all the painting of homes, finishing of furniture and painting of buildings, bridges, etc, amounts to less than 1% of all VOC discharged into the atmosphere, and that these agencies should basically focus on more important areas of air pollution rather than hampering our abilitiy to put a good finish on a fine piece of furniture. I couldn't agree with him more. Just imagine how much VOC and particulate pollution is cause by lawnmowers and leafblowers, let alone automobile emissions . . .

Bill, let us know how you like the USL.

It seems a lot of guys on this forum use BLO for starters - that's interesting. Going to have to revisit that can of BLO I haven't much considered using.

Rob, thanks for the great info. I may pick some of that 3M 216U up when I place my order. On a related note, do you know if there's any real difference between steel wool you buy at the Borgs versus some of the premium steel wool that claims to have a super-low oil content? I've used off-the-shelf stuff for rubbing out shellac and once attempted it on PolyCrylic, with less-than-consistent results, and am wondering if "oily" steel wool might be the problem, or if that's just marketing hype.

But, remember when Flexner is saying "all finishes can be thinned" it is in the context of explaining why you can ignore the do not thin directions that manufacturers put on labels of oil based finishes. This is in the chapter "Introduction to Film Finishes". Later, in the chapter; "Water-based Finishes", he says "You can thin the finish with 10 - 20 percent water to make it spray or brush easier, but it is best to avoid doing this." Italics added, p. 176 point 5.

Lawnmowers, and outboard engines, are now at least making their contribution toward reduction of VOCs with the shift in many areas to 4 cycle engines.

Sal, I don't use steel wool but use the synthetic steel wool. If you are placing an order with Homestead get some of the synthetic, then you don't have to worry about the oil content. Also, you should avoid steel wool when using WB finishes if you use it for inter coat sanding.
    If you are ordering Target products, they do have a distributor in CA. You might be able to get it faster than a week if you are in a hurry.

Last edited by Rob Cunningham; 09-23-2008 at 9:07 AM.

I'll buy that, Steve.

That solves two things:
    1) It corrects my out-of-context paraphrase and
    2) Now I know where I read about limited thinning of water-borne finishes.

Are you a lawyer by any chance?

Rob,

Now that I think about it, I did in fact check out Target Finishes' distributor list, but thought I would support Homestead and build up some goodwill with them, since they seem to be the go-to store, at least on these forums.

As much as I'd rather use the non-woven abrasive pads (and I am starting to take a liking to them), the affordability, range of grades available and maneuverability of steel wool in tight spots and non-flat surfaces makes me reach for it rather than the pads. I always avoid using it in conjunction with water-borne finishing, but the reminder never hurts.

Thanks!

NP Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    Bill- How did you like the EM-8000? Did it spray and level out well?
    Rob,

Yes, spraying and leveling with the EM8000 was no problem at all. I sprayed it straight from the can and it worked just fine. I thought about adding about 5% SA6 retarder, but it went on well without it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Jeff at Homestead great to deal with. I went to his finishing seminar in Phila in the spring. I would highly recommend attending if he comes to your area. It was a 2 day class with lots of info. Well worth it if you get a chance.