Thread: Need old equipment info for auction bid

Need old equipment info for auction bid

I just got back from a pre-sale viewing at a local school. They've got several Delta tools and one Oliver. They are all 3-phase. What I'm looking for is any info on them and advice as to whether it is worthwhile to change the motors out to avoid the 3-phase situation. It seems as though I've seen mention of a website specifically for old tools, anyone know what it is? Here's the list and the serial #'s (they all lack model #'s except the Oliver planer):

Delta Milwaukee Crescent 8" jointer Serial # 317-B
    Delta Scroll Saw 20"? Serial # CJ6017
    Delta Bandsaw 18-20" Serial #687-B
    Delta Tablesaw 10" Serial # J331
    Oliver Planer 20" Model # 399 Serial # 75057

It's a sealed bid auction which ends 6/3/04. The tablesaw and jointer are the only ones I have much interest in but I may bid on them all if you guys think they're worth the time.

Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

check out this place - they just about know it all
    http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

jerry
    jerry

Jerry, I just added 3-phase power to my home shop. It's not that big a deal "work-wise", but there obviously is the expense. I picked up a used rotary phase converter for $750 (capable of starting up to 10HP for the largest motor), and probably spent another $400-$500 in electrical hardware for wiring up 3 machines. Looking at it from that standpoint, a big single-phase motor might be more cost effective, unless you have several motors to swap over.

Jerry,

Assuming they are average school condition here is what I think it might take to buy them. Auction prices are all over the board so you never know, but I like school auctions and here are my guesses and the range of similar tools I've seen sell before:

Delta Milwaukee Crescent 8" jointer Serial # 317-B - $400 ($150 - $750)
    Delta Scroll Saw 20"? Serial # CJ6017 - $125 ($35 - $225)
    Delta Bandsaw 18-20" Serial #687-B - $400 ($200 - $1200, just big and hard to move, usually bought by a company or someone doing metal maching. although good for wood)
    Delta Tablesaw 10" Serial # J331 - $400 if an older Unisaw, better fence etc... will raise price ($150 - $750 for older saws), a newer vintage saw with a Unifence or Biesemeyer can bring close to $1000 if single phase. Also check for missing parts; handles, dust doors, etc...
    Oliver Planer 20" Model # 399 Serial # 75057 $650 ($250 - $2500) Again hard to move and you need power and room for it. I've seen them go cheap, but if it works well and is in good condition they can easily bring into the thousands if more the one person really wants it.

These are just estimates I've seen in the Midwest. It's harder for me to buy at a sealed bid auction then a regular auction. I typically buy to resell and try to buy low. If someone really wants a tool for their own shop they are almost always willing to spend more. If you really want something I would focus on it and maybe low ball the other items. The jointer and/or band saw may be the sleepers.

It would really help estimate prices if you could take some digital photos.

Good Luck - John