Thread: Mission and Arts and Crafts style resources?

Mission and Arts and Crafts style resources?

I'm looking for some resources for building Mission style cabinet doors and drawers for the future kitchen remodel. With Christmas coming up, it will be a good time to suggest books for gifts.
    Anyone have a book or 2 that you would recommend? And is the door with the Walnut square at the corners Mission style, or Arts and Crafts? Thanks for your help! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    And is the door with the Walnut square at the corners Mission style, or Arts and Crafts?
    Or is that a Shaker style door????? I need help..... Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I don't like to toot my own horn, but this might be what you're looking for:

Shop Drawings for Craftsman Interiors

Bob Lang

Jim,

I'll second Bob's advice. I've got his book and it's been a helpful reference for interior remodel work.

- Brandon

Thanks for the link, we are going to be building a house and this will be perfect for helping me on trim designs and stuff. Ordered, can't wait to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post

Bob Lang
    I'll help you toot that horn. I bought this book when I first started making this style of furniture. I have others but this is the most used.

Well, I'd say you would be tooting your own horn, but the others say it's true, so your safe!! Thanks for the info, I'll look into getting this! Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post

Bob Lang
    I have your book - I give it 5 toots!

Larry

Jim

I'll give another couple toots for Bob's books. I think I have all of them. I would also recommend that you get his book on inlays and hardware, an extremely cool book.
    Sourcing Mission/ Stickley hardware is another obstacle to overcome. eBay and antique shops will help you to stay as authentic as you can. Warning upfront. Authentic Craftsman Style hardware can get pretty expensive.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks all!
    Mike, I'm not doing a period house, I just like the look. Our dining table and chairs have a Mission "style" to it, but it is not a strict reproduction of that style. I doubt that we'll go to the point of having period hinges. Probably much more modern hidden european style.
    Now, which style am I thinking of that has the square dark piece of wood in the corner of the door as accent?? Jim.