Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many Hobbyists have a Drum Sander?

How many Hobbyists have a Drum Sander?

I see them in shops and being used all the time, but as a hobbyist I don't think I would get enough use out of one.

I was curious how many people had them and what they come in handy for.

Do you count the open frame sanders as "drum sanders"? If so, I've got one... Comes in handy for sanding down end grain cutting blocks and other glue-ups that I don't want to run through my planer...

i use my all the time every broad comes off the planner goes threw the drum sander at 120 grit then finish with 220 by hand

Yeah, open frame ones count. Any sander with a drum that flattens wood similar to a Planer, but results are smooth.

The ones i would buy would be anything I see on craigslist from time to time. There's no way I would get one of those big ones that could fit a door of course...

I'm thinking that one thing to do is you could resaw a veneer or inlay piece on the band saw, then drum sand it smooth and to the right thickness. Correct?

I'm not quite sure how thin a piece of wood can go into a drum sander though...

Blog Entries
    22-44 DS. I use it more than my table saw. Necessity sums it up.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have one. I use it whenever I need it. Just ran a glued up top for a book case through it Sunday night.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I classify myself as a serious hobbyist, and space in my small basement shop doesn't allow for another major piece of equipment. So no drum sander here. Would be nice though, like a 12" jointer vs my 8" jointer, etc. At some point, it's just a hobby.

Don M

I have a General 15-250 double drum sander and find it very handy. While it may not be the most used tool in the shop, there are some things that it will do that nothing else will do as well. For panels, it is hard to beat. They come out flat as a piece of plate glass.

CPeter

Almost 2 years ago a woodworking friend sold (almost gave) me a Delta 18-36 drum sander and a Grizzly 8" jointer. I confess that I have never used the jointer (someday I will, but my lumber supplier sells really flat wood). I use the sander at least weekly. I have no planer, so I sometimes make multiple passes in place of a planer. It is one of my favorite tools.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

i love using my performax for flattening raised panels.

I don't have one

I'm a SERIOUS hobbyist who's car has never been in the garage of any house I've owned and I've even got lumber stored out in the garden shed, under my back porch, and some in the house. I eat sleep and breath sawbust (which maybe isn't a good thing)
    So like I said I don't have a drum sander, but that's only because I haven't found a good deal on one yet. I'll buy one the moment I find one that meets my budget and quality standards. And a nice wide belt edge sander too, a woodworker can't have to many sanding machines, there like clamps never to many

Ive been eyeing the Grizzly baby drum sander for a while, however, even with such a small unit I can barely fit it in my shop. My supplier has a drum sander that they charge a small fee for using.

PS

13. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    I see them in shops and being used all the time, but as a hobbyist I don't think I would get enough use out of one.

I was curious how many people had them and what they come in handy for.
    I have one, and just about every piece of hardwood goes through it.

It's a big time saver, and honestly does a better job than if I went through the ROS on every grit.

I did have one; found I wasn't using it that much; sold it to free up the space. It was a very nice machine (Performax 22-44 Plus) and is now in another 'Creeker's shop getting a lot of use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I picked up a 22-44 for $200 on a fluke. Can't tell you how much time I have wasted without out it Makes sanding almost pleasurable. Dust collection is required not optional.