Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: poplar for workbench?

Some of these mixes are actually written into industry specs ,or so I've been told. I remember getting some beech mixed in with birch and being told a percentage that was allowed in specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some of these mixes are actually written into industry specs ,or so I've been told. I remember getting some beech mixed in with birch and being told a percentage that was allowed in specs.

Indeed they are. But I am not so silly as to use industry specs in my projects. They are written as minimal standards by the industry and for the convenience of the industry, and not to benefit the end-user.

I was thinking, all these threads about the proper wood for a bench. Wouldn't it be quicker to make a list of wood types the are NOT apropriate for a bench?

Let me start:
    - Balsa, that one is obvious.
    - Wester red cedar, probably really still too soft?
    - Wenge, horrible to work with.
    - Ebony, too expensive.

David K: I was under the impression that hickory and pecan were (speaking in botanical terms or genetically I guess) were "95%" (or something close) the same species at the cellular level and that it takes a close, experienced inspection to tell the two apart. I don't know, just asking from someone who does. What are the differences, especially in the working characteristics?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    David K: I was under the impression that hickory and pecan were (speaking in botanical terms or genetically I guess) were "95%" (or something close) the same species at the cellular level and that it takes a close, experienced inspection to tell the two apart. I don't know, just asking from someone who does. What are the differences, especially in the working characteristics?
    Hickory is 8% denser, about the same hardness, but quite a bit stronger and stiffer:
    Modulus of Rupture: +20%,
    Elastic Modulus: +25%,
    Crushing strength: +16%

Pecan shrinks less by total volume but the T/R shrinkage ratio is not as good as Hickory at 1.8 vs. 1.5.

95% of measurable physical characteristics are not really close.

http://www.wood-database.com/pecan/
    http://www.wood-database.com/shagbark-hickory/

Thanks for the links Stanley. One of the links describes "various species of hickory and pecan being mixed together and sold as hickory", which agrees with my previous (general, non-educated) thoughts about the differences. I will use those links in the future.
    David

Blog Entries
    I cannot resist any longer, Is poplar popular for a workbench?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I cannot resist any longer, Is poplar popular for a workbench?
    I'm pining to know the answer.

Blog Entries
    I made my base with fir and bought a maple top. Mine is a workbench top, kitchen counter tops work also. My top made as a workbench top.

My bench is stiff and has stood up to a lot of abuse. The members are 4x4 posts and 2X6 tee stretchers. The connections are all bolted connections. I chose fir over pine
    because it is straighter. The bench is probably 20 tears old. I have a 2X12 maple front apron on it with 3/4 " holes for bench dogs and clamps. With the front vise on
    one end dog holes in the front apron, I can clamp and hold anything. I cannot remember not being able to hold anything I wanted to work on.

I think design is more important than some other things. I can provide a cross section sketch of you want it. It might take a day or two to make the sketch.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-23-2017 at 4:30 PM.

Now that you have a bunch of support for using your poplar, I'll be contrary and say why put the effort into making a good bench and use less-than-ideal wood ? Wait until you can access some ash or soft maple and then you can build a bench that will last more than a lifetime. Compromising might cause you regret for a lifetime. Ash would be cheaper than maple. Because of all the disease-kill ash around you could so source your wood for around $300. The vise hardware will be the same regardless of the wood.

A compromise could be to make the base from thick poplar and the top from maple. I did this once and found the bench to be very durable and stable. My forever bench is all 12/4 ash with laminated legs and top.