Thread: How to cut EMT

How to cut EMT

I have a hoophouse that I haven't used in many years and am now planning to put it back in service. the hoops are made from EMT (electrical metallic tubing). I'm going to need to buy some and then cut it and was thinking that it would be easy to cut with an abrasive metal cutting blade in my circular saw. I read somewhere that tubing cutters (like used in plumbing to cut copper tubing) will distort the shape of EMT since it's walls are very thin. I'm not looking to buy any special expensive tool that is made for this purpose since it will get limited use. Opinions? I think I will have to buy 65' of it and cut it into 30" pieces to be used as ground stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Cohen View Post
    ...I'm going to need to buy some and then cut it and was thinking that it would be easy to cut with an abrasive metal cutting blade in my circular saw. I read somewhere that tubing cutters (like used in plumbing to cut copper tubing) will distort the shape of EMT since it's walls are very thin....
    It doesn't sound from your application, ground stakes, that some distortion in the cut end would be a problem?

I've cut EMT with the tubing cutters you mention and haven't noticed distortion being a problem even when used for it's intended purpose - electrical conduit. I've also successfully used a hack saw, abrasive chop saw (similiar to your solution) and a metal cutting band saw to turn one piece of EMT into two pieces.

I'd say that just about any way you can get the two pieces separated should be fine for what you're doing although an abrasive blade in a circular saw would be just about my last choice unless you're going to come up with some sort of fixturing to hold the tube and give a stable surface for the saw. If I had to do it with a handheld power tool, I'd be more prone to go with a fine tooth metal cutting blade in a reciprocating saw, like a sawzall, not a jig/sabre saw, and use a regular old bench vise to hold the tube.

But the material is fairly soft, and a sharp hack saw goes through it plenty fast if you're not wanting to buy tooling.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 09-23-2008 at 8:18 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    Randy,

You didn't mention what size EMT you were working with. When I was doing electrical work and we were working with 1/2" and 3/4", we would use a hack saw and then ream it out with our pointed nose pliers to smooth out the burrs.
    We never used tubing cutters.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

it is 1/2". sounds like using a hacksaw is easiest. I will try it that way. the hoops are of 3/4" EMT and the 1/2" ground stakes fit inside and then the 2 pieces are screwed together. thanks for the advice.

I find the tubing cutter works well.

I'm a hacksaw and file guy myself.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Metal Chop saw here but I have done the hack saw and file routine and it works just fine.

Tubing cutter. Quick, clean, square, no vice required. The tubing cutter probably has a reamer built in to remove the burr. The copper tubing that these cutters are commonly used to cut is undoubtedly softer and more prone to distortion than the steel EMT. Just tighten/spin/tighten/spin/tighten/spin until it's cut through. I suppose overtightening between spins could result in distortion, but it's an easy thing to avoid.

-kg

I use a hacksaw most of the time and file the burrs with a round file or a reaming tool designed for EMT. When I have used tubing cutters the rolling blade tends to curve the cut edges in towards the center of the pipe making it more work to file or ream the sharp edges. I finish the burrs of with sandpaper.
    David B