Thread: Source for quality floor glides

Source for quality floor glides

Does anyone know a source for quality floor glides? Tried the felt pads from one of the borgs (the self-stick type), but they have a tendency to gradually move to the side and eventually work out from under table legs, etc. Rockler has a small selection of nylon glides, but not many. We have white oak hardwood floors; is nylon edven the best material for glides? Thanks for any suggestions.

The 'borg also has screw on glides if you want to buy local--I just used them on the nightstands I built for my girls. You can also source such things at the various online woodworking/cabinetry suppliers like Woodworker's Hardware.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gene,
    I picked up polyethylene tack glides at Youngs in Souderton PA. They have a web site: https://youngs-inc.com/index.php?opt...=39&Itemid=126
    The web page is a little hard to navigate, but the display at the store is very impressive with many different sizes and types. I used part number E-8350 $0.13 each 7/8" round ones for our kitchen chairs that slide over tile, they have held up great for over a year.
    And part number E-8351 $0.23 each oval 5/8" X 2" 2 nails on my bar stools sliding on laminate floor, again over a year with no problems. Youngs is a family run business, the store clerks are more than helpful, I'm sure they could help you if you call with a question.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Ed, thanks for the info. Young's should have what I want.

I like these:

from Lee Valley.

You can counterbore the grippers into feet/legs to reduce the reveal between the furniture and floor.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

You might want to try simple leather pads. I got a piece of scrap leather from a shoe repair shop a while ago (he didn't even charge me for it, asking only that I consider using him for future repair work). I cut the pads slightly undersize using a straightedge and knife, then glue the rough side to the work with TiteBond II. The leather is grippy enough to keep things stable, but can slide without scratching our maple floors.