Thread: Flocking problem

Flocking problem

I just flocked a set of drawers for a chess table using basically the same technique described in the instructions that came with with flocking material.

However I used a small brush to apply the adhesive to the drawers. Today (i.e. 3 days later) I dumped out the excess flock and gently blew it out with breath and some light compressed air. The flock left in the bottom of the drawer looked very streaky, following the unevenness of the adhesive.

Question is, do you have any recommendations on how to apply the adhesive more evenly so the flocking looks better?

Did you apply a second coat before flocking? I seal the wood with dewaxed shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    Did you apply a second coat before flocking? I seal the wood with dewaxed shellac.

Second coat?

I put two coats of poly, let those cure...sanded it a bit to key it and then painted on one coat of adhesive/paint then flocked it.

Not sure what you mean by a second coat..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    I just flocked a set of drawers for a chess table using basically the same technique described in the instructions that came with with flocking material.

However I used a small brush to apply the adhesive to the drawers. Today (i.e. 3 days later) I dumped out the excess flock and gently blew it out with breath and some light compressed air. The flock left in the bottom of the drawer looked very streaky, following the unevenness of the adhesive.

Question is, do you have any recommendations on how to apply the adhesive more evenly so the flocking looks better?
    What sucks is you don't get a second chance with that stuff.
    Same thing happened to me the first time. The wood was well sealed beforehand but my adhesive coat was just too thin. Since then I Slather it on just short of the sag & run stage - probably a bit more than necessary but I get full and even coverage.
    - Tom

I've used flocking enough times over the years to I consider myself an expert. (By expert, of course, I mean that I've made about every mistake possible.)

The only times I have not had excellent results were caused by 1 of 3 things.
    1. Adhesive not applied thick enough.
    2. Adhesive not well mixed.
    3. Fibers not sprayed on heavy enough.

Based on your description it sounds like the adhesive was not mixed well.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    I put two coats of poly, let those cure...sanded it a bit to key it and then painted on one coat of adhesive/paint then flocked it.
    This would be my technique, too, but I'd not use anything oil based on the inside of a box or cabinet. Shellac is my choice for this purpose as it retains no odor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks I think my mistake was not putting on the adhesive thickly and uniformly enough.

Thanks for the ideas