Thread: Need help with small, unsightly crack in table top

Need help with small, unsightly crack in table top

I have an unsightly crack in one of the maple squares in the chess board table top that I'm making.

It got worse after some of the purple heart saw dust from the other squares got into the crack.

I cleaned it out with a needle and tried filling it with glue and saw dust...hmm doesn't look too good

Then tried wood putty and saw dust same thing.

Last I cleaned it out again, and tapped a narrow wedge of maple into the crack with glue, let it cure, cut it off and sanded it flush...still really doesn't look great, when I oiled the table top it looks greenish with black lines on either side.

Any ideas on how to repair this to make it less noticeable.

I'm no inlay-meister.
    Last edited by Dave Cohen; 09-25-2008 at 2:34 PM.

I would buy a set of shellac sticks. They come in all colors and last forever. You use a hot knife to melt a color into the crack. Idea is to use thrree colors that match three tones of the wood...and blend in while hot. What I like about tem is that you can try and retry...just reheat the knife. An electric knife is available and worth it to have on board. Accidents happen and nice to have these thing around.

Here is page: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-29.htm
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

I'd score the edges of the square very carefully with a sharp knife, remove the square with a router, possibly a top bearing mortising bit such as used for hinge mortises and a template if you are not comfortable going freehand, and replace the problem square. A sharp chisel will help get right to the edges.

You really only need to remove 1/16" to 1/8". If these are solid blocks, fill the crack with CA glue to stabilize the piece before adding this veneer. Most patches in maple are going to stand out regardless of technique used unless you replace the entire face of the piece.

You don't mention if the squares are veneer or solid wood. But in any case, Peter's suggestion is the way to go. If the squares are veneer, you only need to remove the thickness of the veneer. If they are solid, remove about 3/16" of thickness and then glue in a new square. If the square is too far in from the edge to reach with a clamp, use cauls to press down the new square.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Great, thanks guys...I may go that route...will let my wife take a look, maybe I am just being too picky.

BTW, They are solid all the way through